Music scene heats up with Monkeys

Another British invasion? Released by independent label Domino, the Arctic Monkeys’ debut album, Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, has already been hailed by the British music magazine NME as a modern classic and has become the fastest selling debut album in UK chart history. Their debut flew off the shelves of record stores. They have already sold 360,000 copies, outselling first albums by classics the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. So who are these British lads, and why is Britain enthusiastically embracing them?

These guys are making music industry executives' heads spin, proving that mass production and promotion is not the only way to create a loyal following and a solid album. The Arctic Monkeys did things their own way, building a loyal fan base on the Internet and by passing out demo CDs after shows they played. The greatest thing is that these lads haven't even tried for booming success; people listen to the music and automatically love it. These indie rockers have it all, so it is understandable how people have become magnetized by their distinguished sound. With tracks such as "Dancing Shoes" and "I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor," listeners get pulled in right away. It is so refreshing to hear new sounds, new voices and new combinations of something we have never heard before. The numbers don't lie; rather, they illustrate how the group has captured our attention.

The track "From Ritz to the Rubble" combusts the second it starts. Fueled with energy, its lyrics mesh well together, putting listeners in the moment and highlighting what is to come on the rest of the album. With a fierce combination of explosive guitar cords, catchy beats and some punk spirit, their music is something you just want to blast and dance around to. The exotic flavors of the lyrics make the tracks not just ordinary angry punk rock garbage; these monkeys really pack in some aroma.

This new sound is definitely representative of some early classic British rock, however, the Arctic Monkeys have created something of their own. These musicians have seen it all: drunken nights, crazy parties, annoying clubs and impossible girls. All of these experiences are reflected in their lyrics and provide easy connections for our generation. From romance to devious schemes to getting on your dancing shoes, the Arctic Monkeys go through a variety of themes while continuously playing great music.

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not is probably one of the best albums you will hear all year. Be good to your musical soul and get some Arctic Monkeys.

Rating: 5 out of 5