Successful holiday gift-giving requires careful thought

The clock is ticking, and I know many of you have not given proper thought to giving holiday presents this year. I become stuck in this puddle every year before the holidays and luckily, my creativity has bailed me out.

College students have three things in common, varying individually: 1) No time. 2) Little money. 3) Little direction. Even if we have a certain amount of time or money to spend on gifts, most people do not know what to get. This becomes the foundation of the so-called "Day After Christmas" shopping syndrome. Stores are flooded with people either exchanging gifts or buying new ones all together. Why don't we stray away from conventional inconveniences of the holiday season and relax? We can do this by giving gifts from the heart — and using our personal style.

Whether you are a savvy shopper or not, there are a few things you can do to ensure gift-giving success. Giving clothes is/will always be an issue. For instance, giving a gift of clothing, regardless of good taste, will not ensure that the gift will be received well. This is due to incorrect sizes of clothing, color and necessity. If you really want to give clothing, gift certificates are the best way to go. You can even give suggestions to the person receiving the gift by putting the clothes you thought they would like on hold at the specific store. Then, this person can go into the store, see what you picked out and decide for him or herself whether they like it or not.

If you don't have a lot of money, let your creativity and arts and crafts skills run wild. The biggest tip is using pictures or memorabilia to shape the gift. If you have great pictures that you know someone would appreciate, take full advantage of them. You can nicely frame these pictures or even go to the length of making a framed collage. I have personally given and received gifts such as these, and they prove to be greatly appreciated. It is a personal angle that shows others you keep them in mind, especially since you are at college, focusing on other things such as your academic career (and partying every weekend). It reminds others that the holiday season is about enjoying the company of those you don't get to see often, and shows them that they are important.

If you don't have a lot of time due to finals, use what you have learned this semester to give a "scholarly" gift. During this semester (as well as past ones) I have read excellent books that have opened my mind to many different ideas. Judging the academic capacity of the person receiving your gift (i.e. an 11-year-old sister as opposed to a 25-year-old one), as well as their interests, you can gauge what type of book or publication you give. You can give anything from a photography book to a magazine subscription. The most excellent part of giving publications is that you are encouraging the recipient to read. I am not an advocate from a reading initiative, but I know that people who have given me a book for the holidays definitely opened my eyes to new ideas as well as given me a peek at their own personal literary style. Worst case-scenario: Person has already read the book, or doesn't like the content. All they have to do is re-wrap it, give it to someone else or keep it in the closet until next year's holiday season. This is what I call a "conservation gift." It is something you can use over and over again. If all else fails, the recipient can return their literary gift to Borders and exchange it for something more up their alley.

If you don't have a lot of direction, think about the needs and wants of your gift receiver. Usually older people don't need many things, and don't necessarily need you to buy them what they want. This is unfortunately a problem that affects our whole social scene, with older generations afraid to relinquish their gift giving titles.

On the other hand, buying gifts for people our age and younger mixes the meanings of "want" and "need." From an early age, I can remember needing a Barbie Jeep. I didn't really need it, of course, but I most definitely wanted it. So, just be aware that most of the gifts you give during this season are to fulfill what people want. If you have a difficult time reading the people you are buying for, the safest move is to buy vintage. This "vintage" mentality is one of my biggest secrets that works consistently every year. Vintage does not mean "used," but is taken thematically or physically from a different time period. This gift can equate to a vintage poster that brings your parents back to their childhood or "hippie" days, or even a very old fine wine, bottled in a significant year. This vintage gift could be a re-creation of historical trends such as a Victorian silver jewelry box or a 1950s Hermes "Kelly" bag (for all of those people thinking of me this season). Be creative, the sky is the limit.

Specifically for younger crowds, think of gifts that technologically or organizationally can make their lives easier. For example, last year was a big time to give MP3 players. "The iPod Disease" is a good reminder for everyone to be unique, and not give the most popular gift, but the gift that best fits the person you're buying for. Every young person has some outlet to listen to music, so you can cater to the current technology. You can buy music for others online, or even buy accessories for music that make it more comfortable and easy to listen to.

Other ideas that can make almost any young adult happy: an alcohol gift set (Ketel One makes the best), an intricate piece of jewelry or a professional massage. For the real "manly'" men you have to shop for, who wouldn't necessarily appreciate spa treatments or jewelry, get them an interesting tool. Usually with men, Swiss Army survival kits or multi-faceted tools that can attach to their key chains are both functional and cool-looking.

Whether you are giving a gift certificate or an exemplary academic grade report; give something. There are programs available this season especially for the purpose of giving minimal contributions with maximum benefits. It could be giving one hour and $10 to wrap a gift for an underprivileged child, signing "Love, Santa" on the card or even buying food for homeless shelters. There is always a way to give fashionably. Although those kids may not understand why "Santa" is giving them an "Evolution of Couture" picture book or absolutely love the bubble gum pink Barbie car, they get to be thankful for the holiday season. So, when you open a nicely wrapped, yet horrific sweater, remember that someone is thinking of you, embodying the most important aspect of the holiday — generosity.