Rapper's greatest hits disc pleasing

Ah, December. 'Tis the season for greatest hits albums. Detroit's opinionated emcee, Eminem, proves he is no exception to the compilation flood as the lights go up on his latest album, Curtain Call — The Hits.

The album, which is set for release in both a regular and special two-disc set, features fan favorites from the fresh beginnings of The Slim Shady LP through the lack-luster Encore as well as three previously unreleased tracks of mixed quality: "FACK," "Shake That" and "When I'm Gone."

In his time on the mainstream scene, Eminem has made a name for himself through his cathartic flows unleashing pointed words about topics ranging from relationships with those close to him, be it his mother, his daughter Hallie or her mother Kim, to his opinions of other celebrities and people of alternative lifestyles. Curtain Call certainly capitalizes on these attributes and includes most of the standard tracks that even the mildest Eminem fan could sing along to.

After a brief intro, the brutally honest personality of his alter ago Slim Shady shines through in the effortless delivery of "My Name Is," a track that helped announce the arrival of the platinum blonde rapper onto the scene in 1999. Also included are tracks of similar tone, such as "The Real Slim Shady" and "Without Me," which showcase Em's attraction to controversy and knack for criticizing his peers like Moby and Limp Bizkit amid a childish chorus of teasing "na, na, na, na, na."

The album also features the darker side of Eminem's repertoire, with "Guilty Conscience" where Dr. Dre serves as a voice of reason and "Cleaning Out My Closet," where the rapper examines the hardships he incurred in his life: growing up without a father, feuding with his mother and coping with the suicide of his uncle.

Curtain Call also features two versions of "Stan," an angry, psychological track off The Marshall Mathers LP that takes listeners on a car ride with a bitter fan as he is about to drive off a bridge with his girlfriend in the trunk. The original features the vocals of Dido in the chorus, but the bonus version is a live recording of the hyped 2001 Grammy performance where Elton John provided background vocals for the controversial white rapper.

Of course, "Lose Yourself," Eminem's crowning achievement off the "8-Mile" soundtrack rounds out the list of expected selections. The track blends a thundering bass line with delicate piano influences to create an overall intense effect when combined with its heartfelt lyrics.

However, the three new tracks appear lazy by comparison. Despite their hints of the old Eminem in their catchy hooks and beats, they lack the overall substance found in the artist's past work, especially through the crass sounds of "FACK." A slew of adjectives could be used describe "FACK," a supposed tongue-in-cheek track involving a combination of gerbils, sex and orgasms, complete with sound effects. Distasteful, uninventive and even obnoxious surely fit the bill; however, humorous is not an honest descriptor. While the rapper has never attempted to censor himself and maintain a PC level of lyrical content, the song's jokes are quickly worn out. In a high-pitched, nasally tone, Em contributes annoying vocals to a track littered with samples of the South Park character Cartman's pronunciation of the 'f-word.' The rapper attempts the playful sound of tracks like "Without Me," but falls flat.

On "Shake That," Eminem enlists the help of Nate Dogg, who reaches into his bag of catchy hooks and helps deliver minor improvements. Overall, the track provides a decent beat but at times the snare overpowers the lyrics, which is perhaps a blessing in disguise, as the duo carries on about the quest to "get wasted" and find "sluts."

The lyrical wit of pre-Encore, pre-rehab Eminem finally surfaces on the best of the bunch, "When I'm Gone." The track shows Em still possesses the ability to craft songs of substance and returns to popular song themes — his interactions with Kim and relationship with his daughter Hallie. It provides an introspective glance at the impact of the lack of time spent with his young daughter due to his busy writing and touring schedule and what he hopes she'll realize once he's dead and gone.

While the newest additions illustrate a slight regression in the work of the talented lyricist and the album lacks the cohesive organization of most greatest hits albums — be it through chronological or themed arrangement, Curtain Call still serves its intended goal of providing fans with a taste of Eminem classics just in time for the holidays — although listening to "FACK" around the Christmas tree with the relatives is ill-advised.

Grade: BC