Soundtracks add dimension to shows

"Dirty Dancing" will forever be associated with its timeless love theme "Time of My Life," just as "Saturday Night Fever" will be remembered for John Travolta strutting to "Stayin' Alive." Soundtracks have been popular in film industry for decades now, allowing fans to audibly relive favorite moments from the big screen. With the dawn of the WB and the teen frenzy called "Dawson's Creek," television shows have jumped on the bandwagon as well. And with good reason. Who doesn't immediately think of Dawson, Joey, Pacey and the gang every time Paula Cole's "I Don't Want To Wait" pours out of the car stereo speakers? Any show can often be judged by its choice in musical stylings. As Alexandra Patsavas, a music supervisor who has worked for both "The OC" and "Grey's Anatomy," puts it, "Music is a character on the show." Here is a look at some current hits and misses from some of television's biggest shows as they try to tackle this unique musical genre.

The Veteran: The OC Mix 5

Since its beginning, "The OC" has been applauded by many for its musical selections, having helped many previously unheard of bands gain exposure. Just as "90210" had the Peach Pit, last season Newport Beach became home to the Bait Shop, a local hang out that often features Seth Cohen-approved performers. It was only a few episodes ago that English indie-rockers The Subways were there performing "Rock & Roll Queen," the opening track from The OC Mix 5. The album continues with similar rock selections from Shout Out Louds, Gorillaz and LCD Soundsystem, but also provides slower numbers by Imogen Heap and Stars. All are likely to please fans, but at times the collection feels redundant. As it is their fifth time around, "The OC" knows the formula well and as usual, two of the best tracks are covers. First Jem redid Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed" for Mix 2, while Matt Pond PA put a new spin on Oasis's "Champagne Supernova" for Mix 4. This time around not only do Youth Group provide an amazing cover of Alphaville's "Forever Young," but Phantom Planet also gives an acoustic version of their own "California," the show's theme song, creatively dubbing it "California 2005." The innovativeness is lacking a bit, making it not the best album to come out of the show's series of compilations, however, The OC Mix 5 still bestows listeners another fine assortment of alt-rock.

The Letdown: Desperate Housewives Soundtrack

The music from and inspired by the lives of the ladies of Wisteria Lane is chock full of girl power. But even within the realm of female artists, the album's diversity is shocking, featuring country stars Shania Twain, Martina McBride and LeAnn Rimes; femme rockers KD Lang, Liz Phair and the Indigo Girls; and young ingénues Joss Stone and Anna Nalick. Although a vast majority of the songs are enjoyable in their own right, overall, the soundtrack does not suit the show. It focuses too heavily on the "inspired by" part and not enough on the "from" aspect. If it were not for the interspersed spoken word tidbits from the main cast and the final track, the show's theme composed by Danny Elfman, the listener would completely forget that the album has anything to do with "Desperate Housewives." Missing are more appropriate songs from the memorable TV ads for the show, such as "Closer" by Jem or "Juicy" by Better Than Ezra. These upbeat pop songs would have done a much better job of embodying the show's real essence — gossip, lies and sex appeal. Instead, fans are left listening to a twangy revamp of "The Harper Valley PTA."

The Winner: Grey's Anatomy Soundtrack

The Grey's Anatomy Soundtrack truly speaks for itself and can only be described as a must-listen. Good from start to finish, it is filled with tracks that all fit well not only with each other, but with the show itself — like a television version of the Garden State Soundtrack. (A similarity that is even furthered by the appearance of The Postal Service's "Such Great Heights.") The album features many indie favorites, including such artists as Tegan & Sara, Rilo Kiley, and Ben Lee, whose "Catch My Disease," is as infectious as the title suggests. But the album also provides many obscure artists who are likely to please as well. One shining example is Irish songstress Roisin Murphy with "Ruby Blue," a curious blend of jazz and electronic. The capers that befall Dr. McDreamy and his co-workers are mirrored perfectly with the choice in songs provided — sometimes high-spirited, sometimes somber, but always refreshing.

Honorable Mention: Veronica Mars Soundtrack

Featuring The Dandy Warhols, Spoon and The Perishers. Who knew a teen-detective drama on UPN could have good taste in music?