Chamillionaire reaping benefits of new CD

Thanks to the wonders of eBay and a cool bid of $6300, one lucky Chamillionaire fan and a guest achieved VIP status Nov. 22, gaining autographs, a lunch date and even access to Cham's Houston album release party; but for his other fans, the mere release of The Sound of Revenge is consolation prize enough.

Well, almost.

The dirty south rapper's mainstream debut shows just how sweet revenge can be and easily establishes his place among the likes of Houston emcees Mike Jones, Slim Thug and former partner Paul Wall.

Dubbed Texas' "Mixtape Messiah," Cham rose from the Houston underground scene with childhood friend Paul Slayton (Paul Wall), distributing fliers and self-promoting until the duo caught the attention of Michael Watts, head of Houston mixtape super power, Swisha House. Despite their increasing success, the compensation the pair received for their hard work did not match up, and they eventually left Swisha House to form their own mixtape group, The Color Changin' Click.

Once Chamillionaire and Paul established a fan base, they released an album aptly titled Get Your Mind Correct on popular radio DJ Mad Hatta's label, Paid In Full Records. Their initial public-relations techniques proved successful, and the album sold over 100,000 copies.

A lot has certainly changed since then. While the success of these Houston artists continues to grow, loyalties have been altered.

Creative differences caused Chamillionaire and Wall to part ways. While Wall remained faithful to Paid in Full, Cham severed ties to focus on the production of his own mixes, and after countless offers, inked a deal with Universal Records. With an arsenal of tight lyrics, catchy hooks and big-name assistants like Scarface and Lil' Flip, the artist's solo release asserts his talent in the face of critics who hoped he would fail.

The album gives listeners a bit of variety with tracks ranging in content from the stormy sounds of overcoming struggles, set among a soothing harmony in the chorus of "Rain," which features Scarface, to the increasingly aggressive sounds of "Southern Takeover, " which proclaims Cham's "dreams to stand on top" amid the sound of rapid fire and clanking shells.

The Sound of Revenge's first single, "Turn It Up," exhibits the tone of a dance club hit, with smooth-flowing lyrics, whistles blowing and a heavy, pounding beat. The track does not fully display the height of Chamillionaire's lyrical prowess (read: "I'ma show 'em how to get the club crunk / Give 'em something thats goin' rattle that trunk / Tip ya cups up until ya get drunk). However, it features the added vocals of fellow Houston success story Lil' Flip and exhibits the punchy melodic influence of producer Scott Storch, who has worked with artists ranging from Snoop Dogg and Beyonce to Latin sensation Ricky Martin, which easily makes up for lack of substance. The catchy hooks continue on "No Snitchin" and "In The Trunk," a track that has a pumping beat similar to that of J-Kwon's "Tipsy," with an added southern drawl.

Chamillionaire displays his knack for crafting meaningful lyrics in "Void In My Life," which delves into the rapper's childhood. He focuses less on creating a club hit and places increased emphasis on the power of the lyric's emotions and interesting harmonies when he discusses the lack of definite religion in his life, having grown up with a Muslim father and a Christian mother, and the struggle to choose between "the Bible or the Quran."

Although the melodic arrangements of Chamillionaire's tracks at times paint him as Texas' answer to 50 Cent, the southern rapper brings his own unique voice to the table. The Sound of Revenge offers more than the discussion of diamond grills and paint jobs on luxury vehicles that has come to be associated with the Houston rap scene. Cham fiercely acknowledges his drive for success, but doesn't flood his entire album with merely materialistic, fame-seeking references. No one should mess with this vengeful mixtape messiah.

Grade: AB