Madison fashion lacking originality

I love my Salvatore Ferragamo shoes. They are Italian design, patent leather, ballet style with a small heel, circa 1970. When I wear these shoes I feel like no one can touch me. I don't care if someone recognizes that these shoes are super expensive or even knows the brand name. I love them because they make me feel like I am classy and strong. I love to go back to vintage style because it reminds me of the progression of women throughout history, and the steps they made, whether in Ferragamo's or not, to be individuals in this world. I have a passion for fashion. My greatest hope is that everyone has that one thing that they put on that makes them feel glorious. It could be a polka dot headband, or a pair of worn jeans. It doesn't matter.

My love of fashion stems from the most stylish person I know; my grandmother. She made me appreciate what fashion meant, instead of emulating it as a sign of elitist culture. She made me appreciate style. Although I could not afford the Moschino bags she hung so delicately in her closet, I understood what being classy meant. That is the legacy she left me; to dress my best and have my style reflect who I am. Being classy is not parading around brand names and silk gloves. Being classy is an attitude that can be expressed through fashion.

In this column, I would like to share my understanding of design and fashion to inspire those who want to be unique. The colors, fabric, texture and style are all important basics of the clothes that we choose to wear. Unfortunately, we cannot all walk around naked. Clothes are a necessity. Why not embrace the opportunity to express yourself in what you wear? Clothes are the visual representation we give to the world of who we are. Without words, images are supreme. By no means am I saying to care about what others think of you, but to care about what you think of you. This past summer I spent most of my time walking around New York City, helping myself understand what this truly meant. There were many people who had the resources to outfit themselves in expensive couture items and look great. There were also many people who would buy items at thrift stores and off the streets and look even more glamorous. Madison is by no means the capital of the fashion world, but I want to show that fashion is everywhere and students can decide what reflects their personality.

Sometimes fashion in Madison is blatantly unoriginal and slave to name brands. By no means am I trying to offend anyone, but I perceive that many people here do not embody personal style. When I see four girls walking together with the same shoes, it perturbs me. Each one of those girls is unique, strong and independent in their own right, and each partially suppresses that fact. It equally bothers me when I go out and become barraged by brand names everywhere. I am not saying that I don't wear brand names, but I am saying that it is obnoxious when people overdo it. For example, in Donna Karen's spring collection, she produced this extraordinary silk dress. It is so delicate, so refined yet it does not have her brand name anywhere on it. That dress is an embodiment of what personal style is. The fabric is trendy this season, the fit is generous and the design is a unique representation of current glamour. She is original.

What also bothers me is the negative views some people have about fashion. Fashion is more than a symbol of elitist culture. Just because couture may have a larger price tag, doesn't mean that all of fashion and design is geared toward affluence. In the words of Coco Chanel, "Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is the sky and street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening." Regardless of who you are, or what society classifies you to be, fashion is a part of your life.

Fashion also can be negatively viewed to represent narcissism. For one reason or the other, society has made people feel that vanity is shallow. I agree that being vain can be defeating, but looking and feeling good about yourself is the essence of individuality. That is the beauty of fashion, the ability to craft your own personal style to fit who you are, and feel beautiful in the clothes you wear.

I see many stunning and capable people everyday who don't exercise their ability to dress well. Despite what people may think, dressing well is an important skill you can utilize for the rest of your life. Having the appropriate outfit for the interviews, the dates, the dinners are all things that we will have to know. Of course brand names want people in our age group especially to parade around in their fashions. Each day we see high style magazines playing on our insecurities to sell something. Sometimes, the fashion media can influence us or warp our view of ourselves. The strongest defense against all of this is something we have inherently inside: our attitude, our style, our voice. It is just a matter of trying new things and learning about what works for us. I know I am not a size zero model and I will never be able to fit into Miss Sixty jeans, but I know what looks good and compliments my style because I have tried a plethora of different things.

If the shoe fits wear it, if not throw it away. But, we must remember that there is always more than one shoe store.

Melissa Eisenberg ([email protected]) is a sophomore intending to major in journalism. This is the debut of her new column, which will focus on the understanding of fashion in a cluttered college world.