Tokyo Game Show brings fresh revelations

You've really got to love gamers — especially the way they pay hundreds of dollars to go to a convention center packed with strobe lights, annoying salespeople and B-rate musicians all in an effort to see the latest video game systems and software.

This weekend marks yet another gaming convention as the Tokyo Game Show takes place over in Japan. With the launch of the Xbox 360 only a few months away and the holiday season quickly approaching, game developers will be unveiling a plethora of information about the titles everyone will soon be clamoring for.

SEGA has already made a pre-TGS announcement, unveiling just a few days ago a new Sonic title in the works for the next generation of consoles. This got us wondering what breaking news would come out this year, so we took it upon ourselves to do a little bit of investigative journalism. After looking at far too many video game news sites, we've come up with a few predictions for this year's TGS.

Sundeep:

The Return of Link, Again

It's been two years since Nintendo's finest reinvented one of their most cherished icons. Some time before April 2006, Nintendo plans on shipping another masterpiece with "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess." Unlike the previous two Zelda releases ("The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask," and "The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker"), Link won't be playing the child anymore. Instead, just as in 1998's "Ocarina of Time," Link will be the traditional, teenage Master Sword wielder.

Also, just like in every Zelda game, designers and developers hope to offer players a slew of new gadgets and surprises. One of those is a reinvented favorite — the boomerang. The new boomerang locks onto multiple targets (as in Wind Waker) and can fire a mini-tornado to knock baddies back.

Another returning Ocarina favorite will be the use of Link's trusty horse. However, this old feature harbors an awesome new trick with the creation of mounted combat. For the first time ever, Link will be able to swing his sword and fire off arrows while flying past opponents.

Perhaps Link's most striking new feature is his ability to transform into a wolf. This new wolf-form is promising for players. They'll be using the wolf to unlock puzzles and defeat enemies in much the same way Link used his Ocarina in '98, his mask in '00, and his conductor's baton in '03.

Ryan:

Metal Gear Solid 4

Konami has a well-documented history of showing off its latest "MGS" titles at all major gaming shows. At this summer's E3, company brass showcased a five-minute teaser trailer for "Metal Gear Solid 4." What it did was reveal the names of the development staff for the game, which was news enough at the time. For many, the fact that Hideo Kojima was returning for another entry in his award-winning series was proof that "MGS 4" would be every bit as great as past iterations of the series.

Fast-forward to late last week, when Konami announced that it would finally show a true trailer for the title at the TGS. Rumor has it that attendees will get to see "MGS" running on a Playstation 3 engine for the first time, hopefully showing a graphically-upgraded Solid Snake (with Mullet included). Though the game won't be released for quite some time, the trailer could give insight into what its main theme will be. Konami has already announced an online multi-player component of the game, in addition to increased camera control (much like the same third-person camera that will be used in the upcoming "Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence").

The tagline of "nowhere to hide" leads one to believe that stealth in this title will be more along the lines of "MGS 3," where players were required to wear different camouflage patterns to blend into natural surroundings. Whatever the case, salivating fans will get their first taste of "MGS 4" soon.

Sundeep:

Final Fantasy VII Aplenty

I'm not sure why the ever-famous RPG designers at Square Enix didn't think of this earlier. Starting this year, Square will release four projects linked to what could arguably be the most famous RPG of all time: "Final Fantasy VII."

"Before Crisis": "Final Fantasy VII: Before Crisis," harkens back to the days before Cloud Strife met up with Barrett Wallace and saved the world from utter destruction. Instead, the story focuses on "Final Fantasy VII's" unusual group of villains, The Turks. But don't even think about playing this game on a console or a handheld. Rather, this one's on a cell phone. So far, no American cell phone company has picked up the game.

"Crisis Core": "Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core" will be an action-RPG which also focuses on pre-"Final Fantasy VII" periods; namely, the story of Cloud's best friend, Zack. "Crisis Core" will be available for the Playstation Portable.

"Dirge of Cerberus": "Cerberus" will be one of two projects that will focus on post-"Final Fantasy VII" happenings. Gamers will be able to play as Vincent Valentine, the famous vampire-like character from "Final Fantasy VII." Coincidentally, "Cerberus" will play like another vampire-like character's game, "Devil May Cry."

"Advent Children": "Advent Children" will be Square Enix's first attempt at a movie since 2001's "Spirits Within." Though not successful among the general public, "Advent Children" will use the same CG-style of "Spirits Within." Fans can look forward to seeing all their favorite characters, including all nine major playable characters. The movie will be released on both DVD and Sony's special UMD disc for the PSP.

Ryan:

The Nintendo Revolution's Controller

Since the first announcement of the Nintendo Revolution, gamers have been debating what the console's controller will consist of. Nintendo, as tight-lipped as ever, has stayed silent as to what will be so revolutionary about the console. Rumors of everything from a gyroscopic device to a controller including a touch-screen that changes functionality with each game have been floating around for a while now, while Nintendo keeps mum about everything.

The fact that the console has seemed relatively bland until now leads me to think that Nintendo desperately needs to generate some buzz beyond the mystery of its controller.

Though my gut instinct tells me that Nintendo will hold off until a possible Spaceworld convention late this fall, they could shock everyone and show off the fabled controller once and for all.

Nintendo has, for the most part, snubbed the Tokyo Game Show (I think Sony is a big contributor to the TGS…). Interestingly, Satoru Iwata, the President of Nintendo, is scheduled to give a speech at this year's TGS. Will he announce anything? Probably not. Will he drop more hints to the mystery behind the controller? Almost definitely.

Ryan ([email protected]) and Sundeep ([email protected]) have an unhealthy love for video games. Sundeep is currently a level-14 Night Elf Hunter in "World of Warcraft." Ryan has been rebuilding his franchise in "Madden 2006," recently drafting Omar Jacobs to replace a pathetic Ben Roethlisberger.

Versus: Mega Man II Robot Masters vs. the Koopa Kids

The Koopa Kids

The 7-piece Koopa Kids, famous for their appearance in Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World and the Super Mario World cartoon, are known for their combat prowess. Harboring many of the same talents as their father, King Bowser, each royal koopaling is actually named after a famous celebrity. Such celebrities included Larry King (Larry Koopa), Lemmy Kilmister (Lemmy Koopa) and Iggy Pop (Iggy Koopa). Unfortunately, all seven kids share their father's weakness: three jumps on the noggin' from a fat Italian plumber.

Mega Man II Robot Masters

The eight robot masters exemplify the finest in mechanical engineering from a man known as Dr. Wily. Such fierce villains included Metal Man, Bubble Man and Wood Man. One has to question the evil genius of Dr. Wily when he gives his minions powers as lame as leaves and bubbles. The masters each used different weapons characteristic of their elemental tendencies. Because there are eight robot masters, Wood Man will be disqualified in the interest of fairness and general non-impressiveness.

Verdict

All 14 competitors slowly strutted from opposing sides of the Versus Arena, as tumbleweed gently bounced along. After sizing each other up for ten minutes accompanied by sporadic trash talk from the Koopa Kids concerning the pathetic nature of the masters' powers, Wood Man emerges suddenly, having snuck into the arena. From behind, the wood-armored robot attacks the group by bouncing his leaf shield on the heads of the kids. Seeing this as sure victory, the other seven mega-bosses open fire on the newly distracted Koopa Kids. Stunned and severely abused by air blasts, quick boomerangs, metal blades and crashbombs, the Koopa Kids scatter in all directions as robot masters quickly pursue. But, then, an unprecedented event occurs. From the shadows, the Koopa's long lost brother, Jean Claude Van Koopa emerges to perform some unusually ridiculous martial arts. JCVK quickly obliterates all eight robot masters, once more bringing honor to the Koopa name.