Best and worst of the summer

Best/Worst: Tom Cruise

Summer 2005 was a busy one for Mr. Cruise, with “War of the Worlds” hitting theaters nationwide. Rather than taking the usual route and promoting his movie in a relatively inoffensive way, Tommy-boy took the road less traveled — he went crazy.

Whether he was insanely raving about how much he loves Katie “He’s My Hero” Holmes (who is incidentally young enough to be his daughter) to Oprah or slamming Brooke Shields for taking anti-depressants, Cruise was getting more attention than ever. Old women and even animals quickly grew weary of Tom’s actions, making him one of the most hated men in Hollywood, right behind Pauly Shore.

But is Tom really crazy? Some fans stand behind their leading man and encourage him to rant about how “he knows psychology” and “reads books.” For once, a celebrity isn’t afraid to voice his opinion and take the consequences.

Crazy or not, Tom spent the bulk of the summer generating headlines wherever he went.

— Ryan Gauthier and Laura Stanelle

Worst: Michael Bay

The man who directed blockbusters like “The Rock” and “Bad Boys” hit the studio again to create “The Island,” which many believed would be a contender for the hit film of the summer. After it seemed like he had yet another “Pearl Harbor” on his hands, Bay was not a happy camper.

Whereas most directors would keep quiet and avoid the press, Bay played the blame game with everyone but himself. First he said the studio failed to properly advertise the film. This is “The Island,” advertised to an almost annoying extent for the better part of this year.

Then Bay decided the real reason his film tanked was a “lack of stars.” Unfortunately for Bay, it’s difficult to agree that a cast including Ewan McGregor, Scarlett Johansson, Sean Bean, Michael Clarke Duncan and Steve Buscemi is lacking stars.

What’s next for Bay? A movie based on the “Transformers” franchise. At least fans of the old cartoon know to expect explosions — lots of explosions. Let’s hope they cast Tom Hanks as Optimus Prime.

— Ryan Gauthier

Best: Pharrell Williams

Simply put, Pharrell Williams had an amazing summer. When he wasn’t applying his Midas touch to tracks in the studio, he was making news with his keen fashion sense.

In recent years, Williams has lent his talent to an astounding number of musicians. In addition to singing countless hooks for major rap acts, Pharrell and Chad Hugo (his Neptunes counterpart) have created mind-blowing beats for an even greater number of artists. A rumor sweeping the Internet even says hip-hop legend Nas went so far as to pay $2 million for what Busta Rhymes says is the “beat to end all beats.”

Pharrell didn’t stop there. In fact, his style earned him even more acclaim than his talent as Esquire magazine recently labeled him the “Best Dressed Man in the World.”

His star is shining brighter than ever before and shows no sign of fading. With a combined hip-hop prowess and flair for stylish clothing, Pharrell may be the second coming of Andre 3000.

— Ryan Gauthier

Worst: Jude Law

Jude Law, who once held the title of “Sexiest Man Alive,” can now revel in the title of “Dumbest Man of Summer.” The baby-faced British actor, seen in several movies including “Closer,” “Cold Mountain” and “Alfie,” has recently offered a public apology to fiancée Sienna “Queen of Boho Chic” Miller for knocking boots with his children’s nanny. Law’s infidelity was discovered by one of the children, prompting an apology and immediate dissolution of his engagement to Miller. According to celebrity gossips like Star and Us Weekly, Law spent the weeks following his apology desperately trying to patch things up with his former flame. His efforts to persuade Miller to re-don her eye-searing engagement ring have been thwarted by the nanny, who has provided something of a “tell-all” of the affair, including details better left in the “too-much-information” category.

One must ask why Law felt the need to cheat on a gorgeous woman with a considerably less attractive one. While we may never know the reasons, Jude Law’s asinine actions have caused a dramatic drop in his likeability level.

— Laura Stanelle

Best: Jimi Hendrix

With Sept. 18 marking the 35th anniversary of Jimi Hendrix’s death, summer 2005 exhibited a plethora of attention given to the man considered the best guitarist to ever live. Rolling Stone magazine featured a tribute to Hendrix, the guitarist’s fourth appearance on the magazine’s cover. The most hype, though, surrounded the release of Charles R. Cross’ biography of Hendrix, “Room Full of Mirrors”.

Though not an exceptional example of musical biographies, Cross’ work brought up speculation that Hendrix’s stint in the United States Army ended not because of an injury sustained while parachuting, but due to the guitarist’s admission to homosexuality. Whether or not this gossip has a valid place in the telling of the life of Jimi Hendrix, the buzz raised by Cross’ book combined with the anniversary of the musician’s tragic death has resulted in considerable attention given to the legendary guitarist, keeping Hendrix in the spotlight.

— Laura Stanelle

Best: Leaked “Family Guy” Movie

Warning: your life will soon be inundated with even more “Family Guy”-isms when the “Family Guy” movie, “Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story,” is released straight to DVD Sept. 27. Thanks to the Jack Sparrow-esque (parlay … ) pirates of the Internet, the movie has been leaked and is available online for illegal download months before its intended release. Apart from shedding whatever limitations the FCC imposed on “Family Guy,” creator Seth MacFarlane continues to push the envelope of what is politically correct. Sure, the fart jokes are still there, as are the sex jokes and the non sequitur obscure pop-culture references, but MacFarlane spices things up with an appropriately placed F-bomb and numerous rips on celebrities. The movie lags in the middle, but the memorable jokes are so hilarious they will surely elicit a loud, drunk rehashing every non-sober night. While it may be illegal to watch before Sept. 27, it is hands down the best comedy of the summer, except maybe for “Wedding Crashers” … that Vince Vaughn, he’s a funny cat. Needless to say, “Family Guy” saved a lackluster summer of movies.

— Jon Wirt

Worst: Madison apartment situation

What corrupt politician is receiving kickbacks from these shady storage-rental places, anyway? For everyone who is not familiar with how apartment leases work in Madison (for the majority of buildings, anyway), one lease will end on, let’s say, Aug. 13, and the next lease doesn’t start until Aug. 15. This leaves students wondering what to do with all their stuff during the two-day gap. Of course, one would think the buildings would be accommodating and let a person stay late or move in early, but, no, that would be far too easy. Instead, already starving students are forced to shell out money to store their belongings for two freaking days. Yes, I know each apartment needs to be cleaned and repaired, but, seriously, cut us some slack. I hope everyone involved in this scam feels real good about themselves. I hope they feel real good about taking struggling students’ money. But, most of all, I hope they can sleep at night in their beds of filth and corruption, and not be surprised when they, too, get their comeuppance.

— Jon Wirt

Worst: Britney Spears’ pregnancy

It’s been a crazy year and a half for Britney Spears. To the average human, two marriages, one reality TV show and the launching of a new perfume line are great enough accomplishments, but now it seems Britney is also carrying the messiah in her uterus.

OK, so maybe that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but check out the latest issue of People or tune into “Access Hollywood” and you’ll uncover everything you didn’t care to know about the washed-up pop diva’s little fetus — from the door prizes at Baby Federline’s shower to his favorite decaf Starbucks treat.

Did you know Britney Spears’ guests had to walk barefoot into her Moroccan-themed baby shower? Well, they did. Did you hear what happened to a member of the paparazzi snooping in the bushes at the shower? He definitely got shot in the leg with a pellet gun. Oh, did you know GoldenPalace.com auctioned off Britney’s pregnancy test? Why, yes, a plastic stick complete with dried urine was indeed sold for charity.

Now that everyone’s up to speed, it’s time to go pre-order a copy of the Britney and Kevin “Chaotic” DVD and count the hours until Baby Federline is welcomed into the world in a $4,000 Kabbalah bath, or perhaps via Caesarian section.

— Ashley Voss

Best: Intonation Festival

The two-day indie-music festival organized by pitchforkmedia and held on a hot June weekend in Chicago’s Union Park was far more valuable than the $15 ticket price, even if a slice of pizza cost $4. The festival hosted a plethora of diverse, highly regarded indie bands peppering the vast spectrums of rock, electronic, and hip-hop. The psychedelic rock band Dungen even flew from Sweden for a 30-minute set plagued by technical problems, but with no lack of affection from the grateful audience. Those looking for shade could peruse the tent full of hipster merchandise, an enormous collection of records for sale and label reps eager to show off their up-and-coming bands. With the low ticket price and great bands, Intonation Festival proved to be a robust experience with a laid-back attitude.

— Aaron Granat

Best: “March of the Penguins”

It’s surprising to think that watching little black birds waddle across ice would be so astonishing to watch in the documentary “March of the Penguins.”

Directed by Luc Jacquet and narrated by Morgan Freeman, “March of the Penguins” lovingly tells the story of these two-footed bipeds marching through Antarctica’s freezing winter to keep their species alive. The movie shows how the penguins cross the icy terrain to get to the one spot where their mating ritual begins.

After searching for that one special mate, the penguins begin a courtship that leads to parenthood. After the egg is hatched, the mother and father do everything in their power to keep the egg and soon-to-be chick alive. The father, who takes the role of nursing the egg over a two-month period, faces starvation, intense winds, sleet and far-below-freezing temperatures while holding the egg on top of his feet. The mother returns when the egg hatches, and the family is reunited.

The story shows that while these animals are small, they fight tremendous odds to keep their kind striving. What’s so endearing about the film is their humorous little “tuxedos.” They make this flick truly interesting to watch and keep a big smile on your face.

— Meredith Dietrich

Worst: Mandy Moore’s performance on “Entourage”

How did a show as well written and well acted as “Entourage” decide it would be wise to cast Mandy Moore as the love interest of the hero and costar on his film?

HBO’s original series “Entourage,” starring Adrian Grenier as Vincent Chase, the pretty-boy movie star on the rise, tells of how he reaches fame and fortune with the help of his brother and some friends. Chase gets a job on the multimillion-dollar movie “Aquaman.” Mandy Moore, Chase’s ex-girlfriend, happens to be his co-star. Drama ensues as the gang discovers Chase still has strong feelings for Moore, whose is already engaged.

The main characters have the greatest chemistry, but Moore’s candy-coated acting throws it off. It seems she has always played a sweet, cheery girl next door that men can’t help but adore. The show has begun to lose its appeal, becoming more of a romantic comedy than the comedy of starting small and making it big.

— Meredith Dietrich

Worst: The closing of Luther’s

The Annex. High Noon Saloon. The Orpheum. Luther’s Blues once stood among the best of Madison’s live-music venues. Despite having a 500-capacity space, it managed to be an intimate setting. Despite being in a city not often on artists’ priority lists, it managed to host heavyweights of both the local and national scenes. Despite the potential precariousness of jaunting across University Avenue, it offered something for the west end of campus. Now Luther’s stands among the saddest in Madison’s graveyard of clubs that could not survive.

Some say the venue was doomed from the start. Those same people, while not surprised when Luther’s closed its doors after over four years of financial struggles, were no less mournful. The marquee once boasting the week’s happenings now advertises the sale of the empty space. The purple façade, once enchanting, is now an eyesore for all entering the biotechnology center. Until the space is rejuvenated — or more likely leveled — the grieving can only pass by, paying their respects with memories of late nights spent hearing phenomenal music within those walls.

Christine Holm

Best: Kanye West

He is arrogant as hell. He blurs the line between his Jesus and himself. It is easy to accuse Kanye West of epitomizing negative hip-hop ideals. Then he sends critics spinning on their heels by backing up his egotism every damn time. As an entertainer, he gives memorable performances, as at last February’s Grammys. As a producer, he breathes new life into careers, as with Common. He proves more than another shallow, forgettable rapper by encouraging people to talk with him about anything from the valor of education to the role of strippers rather than solely about himself.

Can Kanye do any wrong? Middle school girls scrawl his name on their notebooks. College intellectuals debate the philosophy of his lyrics. Mainstream MTV provides airtime. Underground hip-hop offers approval. And he always has praise from himself. But if his single, “Diamonds from Sierra Leone,” is any indication, Kanye’s enthusiasm for his upcoming sophomore release Late Registration will come with more than enough validation.

— Christine Holm