Semester of games yields few gems

It’s been a long and interesting semester in terms of gaming. While most people’s attention is turned toward the impending release of Xbox 360, PS3 and the Revolution, a number of quality titles have been released. As a civic duty, we at Nerd Alert are sifting through the piles of trash to find the handful of true gems of the past few months.

The following four titles are the highlights of an otherwise bland semester of releases, showcasing some of the most original and entertaining game play to grace consoles in years.

Lumines

Dubbed the must-have title for Sony’s PSP, “Lumines” offers gameplay similar to the gamer’s Holy Grail: “Tetris.”

Like its predecessors, “Lumines” focuses on stacking blocks in different ways to combine them according to shape and color. The building blocks in this title are always grouped into cubes of four smaller blocks, rather than the varying shapes that have often appeared in other puzzle titles. Players eliminate pieces and progress in the game by connecting groupings of like-colored blocks.

While this sounds simple on initial impression, the presentation is where “Lumines” excels. Players gain new skins by progressing through the title’s main game mode, which change the color scheme and audio heard while playing the game. Each new level features unique sights and sounds, driving gamers to earn every skin and see every way that “Lumines” can be experienced.

And the audio is perhaps where “Lumines” shines the most. Background music in the game ranges from dance sounds to pop tunes, all seeming rather generic. It’s up to the player to add some spice to the song, as every action performed in the game yields a completely unique sound effect. The game closest to “Lumines” in this aspect is the revolutionary “Rez,” which featured a similar mix-your-own-soundtrack feel to it.

It can be a bit difficult to get into at first, but “Lumines” offers what is easily the most addictive title to hit handhelds (or consoles, for that matter) in a long time.

God of War

The action platformer is often reserved for the more “kid-friendly” titles like “Jak and Daxter,” “Ratchet and Clank” and “Siegfried and Roy.” Wait … nix that last one.

Sony Computer Entertainment looked to change that all with the release of “God of War” in late March. The game stars Kratos, easily the most violent and cruel anti-hero in the history of gaming. Things start off with special-K throwing himself from high atop the tallest mountain in Greece. The game is played in a series of flashbacks to the events leading up to his plunge, showing the chaos that Kratos brought with him.

Gameplay is perfect. As players collect red orbs and power up Kratos’ weapons, he learns new and more violent attacks. There is nothing more satisfying than tearing off harpies’ wings or snapping a sirens’ neck.

SCEA beautifully integrates attacks into game play, as well as the amazing boss battles. Unfortunately, there are only three of these incredibly fun boss battles. They are the high point of the title, and a few more certainly would’ve been welcome.

The only minor complaint I have with “God of War” is the game’s pre-set camera angles. While their intent is certainly appreciated, a camera angle suddenly changing while I’m in the midst of tightrope-walking a series of beams is one of the most frustrating things I can think of.

When looking at the big picture, though, “God of War” is amazing and deserves all of the accolades it receives. Fans of action and Greek mythology alike will be delighted with the intriguing story and flat-out fun experience that Sony has crafted.

Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition

Rockstar Games is steadily prepping itself to overtake the gaming universe. Probably best known for its “Grand Theft Auto” titles, Rockstar’s “Midnight Club” franchise has been a staple of consoles since the launch of the PS2.

“DUB Edition” stays true to the series’ roots, offering three distinct cities (San Diego, Atlanta and Detroit) that wannabe street racers are free to explore with their vehicles of choice. The sense of speed experienced in the game is incredible, making gamers truly feel the speeds that their cars are going. The sensation achieved after hitting a nitro while screaming through narrow alleys is something that can’t be given justice through explanation — it must be experienced.

Where “Midnight Club 3” thrives most of all is in its car customization mode. Xzibit never shows up, but players are encouraged to pimp their rides to an absurd extent. Everything from paint jobs to spoilers, rims and neons can be tweaked, making it almost impossible to have two gamers with the exact same car.

A decent online mode certainly doesn’t hurt this solid title, adding even more replay value to a game that could already keep anyone busy for months on end. Car buffs need look no further for what is easily the best racing game around.

Resident Evil 4

There is no denying that the “Resident Evil” franchise had become increasingly stale with each release. While “Resident Evil” and “RE 2” offered frighteningly suspenseful experiences, the long line of sequels, prequels and spin-offs that followed were less than fun.

Capcom decided to give the games a complete overhaul with “Resident Evil 4,” changing almost everything that fans thought they knew about the series. Rather than the static backgrounds of old titles, a completely 3-D setting was created. Game play focuses much more on action than other titles, providing gamers with oodles of ammo to pump villagers full of.

Every bit as chilling as the first few games, “Resident Evil 4” offers plenty of gory images and cheap scares. The plot may be cheesy throughout, but Leon Kennedy’s exploits do manage to maintain an interesting story until the end.

Perhaps the best testament to the phenomenal experience that is “Resident Evil 4” is “Cold Fear,” the first in what will likely be a long line of “RE 4” rip-offs. If you own a GameCube and don’t already own this game, buy it. If you own a PS2, just pray that Capcom follows through and ports “RE 4” to Sony’s beautiful baby.

Ryan Gauthier ([email protected]) and Zach Stern ([email protected]) are recovering gameaholics. It’s a long road, but someday they will make it. Zach has gone missing, likely trying to level up some sort of ridiculous creature in “World of Warcraft.” Ryan rented “LEGO Star Wars” this weekend and hasn’t put it down since.