Bizarre accessories bring new concepts to gaming world

Art. A word whose definition is always in question, subject to disagreement over what qualifies as art, as well as what is considered quality art.

Over the course of most of our lives, video games have existed in one form or another. However, it is only within the past few years that they have reached a point in which the line between art and entertainment is increasingly blurred. It is difficult to argue against the artistic value of a creation so infused with talent and hard work, with visuals providing an experience rivaling that of the most expensive Hollywood film.

Interactive entertainment has grown up, and so too has its stature in the world of art.

It is with this premise in mind that we introduce this weekly column, aptly titled “Nerd Alert.” Our goal is two-fold — to inform you of the wide array of unique and exciting aspects of the video-game world, as well as show the less obvious characteristics of gaming a casual observer might miss.

Games have come a long way since the days of “Donkey Kong.”

In our first installment, we explore the world of video-game peripherals. Consisting of some of the strangest and most clever creations in the world of entertainment, these chosen few represent the weirdest cream of the crop. Bringing game play to uncharted territory, these peripherals are bound to get your attention either for their artistic merit or inventive absurdity.

Either way, we bet you’ve never heard of these.

“Resident Evil 4”: Chainsaw Controller

Ryan:

What appears to be the brainchild of a group of 10-year-old boys was released to coincide with the GameCube’s latest blockbuster game, “Resident Evil 4.” The idea of playing a game by using a chainsaw is quite possibly the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard of.

Maybe it would be cool if, by swinging the chainsaw, the character in the game would in turn swing his own, but that’s not the case. It’s basically just an oddly shaped controller featuring “gory blood marks” and “realistic rumble feature.” Isn’t force-feedback already standard on all controllers now?

While it is a fully functional controller that looks like a mini-chainsaw, shelling out $50 for a controller without so much as wireless capability is ridiculous. Stay far away from this rumbling piece of shit.

Zach:

For the ultimate in excess, look no further. Absurd to a degree almost unimaginable, this oddity comes in the wake of former controllers from another universe, such as the “Onimusha 3” Katana controller. Capcom, the maker of both “Resident Evil 4” and “Onimusha 3,” clearly enjoys catering to the more discerning video-game dork.

While excellent in form, the Chainsaw controller proves lacking in function, making it little more than a very cool yet very misshaped bookend. Almost shunning the very purpose of the extremely ergonomic and comfortable GameCube controller, the Chainsaw is a beast to manage. Even the original Xbox controller, lambasted for its catering to the crowd with massively sized hands, was not as unmanageable as this monstrosity.

However, as a collector’s item, and solely within that capacity, this is a delight to behold. Extremely detailed, it is quite impressive sitting on one’s shelf.

Just be sure not to plug it into your system. For that, look no further than Nintendo’s wireless controller, the Wavebird, of which you could buy two for the price of one of these bad boys.

SpongeBob SquarePants GBA Light

Zach:

While now rendered virtually useless by the extremely impressive Nintendo Game Boy Advance SP with a backlit screen, the original Game Boy Advance still requires such rudimentary gaming peripherals. Needless to say, its existence alone feels so 1996.

Even in serving its own intended purpose, this light fails to surpass the excellent Nyko Wormlight. The light is too dark, and doesn’t brighten up enough of the screen to prove useful.

Nevertheless, this item seems more an object that exists solely to lure young children into buying a cheaply made and poorly functioning peripheral simply for its SpongeBob SquarePants design.

Which, by the way, is hilarious looking. I mean, just look at it. How would you like to be seen with that on top of your Game Boy?

Although, if you feel like pissing off the religious right, go ahead and buy it. I’m sure James Dobson would love it.

Ryan:

Many complained about the lack of a good lighting source for the original Game Boy Advance, but with good reason. Gemini Industries has unveiled their own unique solution to this problem, incorporating SpongeBob SquarePants.

This light clips on to the back of the GBA, right above the slot for cartridges. Genius design, since it’s basically impossible to change games without first removing this monstrosity.

SpongeBob is apparently surprised that he can do the splits so well, as his lips are permanently puckered in some sort of bizarre blowing stance. In lieu of recent speculations about his sexuality, we’ll just try to ignore this.

In one hand, he has a flashlight; in the other, a bubble. Ironically, the flashlight shines away from the GBA, while the bubble directs a dim beam of light at the action on-screen.

While having SpongeBob tag along on one’s video game antics can be fun, a product that advertises itself as a light should probably provide light, at the very least.

“Silent Scope” Light Rifle

Zach:

Dating back to the original console-based gun game “Duck Hunt” for the NES, gun peripherals are usually the most successful of the oddities. Successes abound in this niche category, such as the Guncon 2 for games like “Time Crisis” and the Super Scope for the SNES. And in this sense, the “Silent Scope” Light Rifle is a clear leap ahead of the rest of the pack. Game enthusiasts — this is what it’s all about.

Unlike most other gun peripherals for consoles, the Light Rifle actually works, and it works well. If you’ve ever played “Silent Scope” in the arcades (or at Memorial Union), you’ll know that the scope on the gun is actually another screen, allowing the player to shoot just as a real sniper would. By alternating between the main screen and the scope’s screen, the player can have both situational awareness previously not offered by the sniping aspect of games as well as the ability to zoom effectively, immersing the player better than games in the past.

In this sense, the “Silent Scope” Light Rifle is a great success. Throw it up on a table, pull yourself up a chair, and enjoy taking out baddies from far away from the safety of your futon.

Ryan:

Designed to complement the Xbox’s “Silent Scope” title, this rifle is as ridiculous looking as it could possibly be. With neon green and black trim, it does complement the color theme of Microsoft’s first console.

So it looks stupid. But how does it work? As the first functional sniper rifle found outside arcades, it’s a great idea. The scope actually zooms in on the television picture, bringing players further into the experience. The feel of holding a rifle and looking down the scope while you play the game is easily worlds ahead of “Duck Hunt.”

It feels great, but at the same time, this is the clunkiest light gun to ever be released. At just a little over three feet long and weighing almost 20 pounds, the typical gamer (read: arms like a little girl) will have problems keeping this beast held up and aimed at the screen for extended periods of time.

“Rez” Trance Vibrator

Zach:

SEGA, makers of such wondrous, eccentric creations such as “Seaman,” the game in which you raise a human-headed fish from birth in real-world time, coaxing him to life with a microphone, has a strange way of entertaining its customers. Having left the world of console production indefinitely after the failure of the Dreamcast, SEGA is free to pursue both mass-market games and niche-market oddballs.

“Rez,” the game, as well as its odd accessory, clearly falls into the later category.

The game itself plays as a rail-based shooter in the vein of “Star Fox.” You fly through computer networks, hacking programs by targeting them with your aiming reticle. As each baddie explodes in a glorious tripped-out and unique manner, a musical note corresponding to that enemy plays. What’s important, however, is what else happens: your controller vibrates.

Thus, as you play the game, you control both the music, the visuals and your controller’s vibration based on how you play. A surreal experience, to say the least, made even more surreal when you bring in the Trance Vibrator. Plug it into the PS2’s USB port, and away it shakes. It is in this sense that “Rez” becomes an, ahem, two-player game.

Unlike Ryan, I prefer a bit of subtlety. Use your imagination. I’m sure he has.

Ryan:

This is without any doubt the most unique gaming device ever created. In essence, this is a masturbatory tool that works along with the Playstation 2’s “Rez.”

When I first heard about this, I found it hard to believe that someone would actually design a vibrator to go along with a video game. After a little research, it’s clear that the Trance Vibrator does exist, and is actually quite popular.

I tried to keep an open mind about this thing and find another use for the little black box of fun, but it was useless. The only use imaginable, outside of maybe mixing up drinks through vibration, is keeping one’s girlfriend entertained while he plays video games.

Initially, this seemed like the creepiest thing I’d ever heard of. Then I thought about it some more, and realized that this is THE BEST idea to ever come to video games. Any guy who has tried to enjoy some quality time with his PS2 while his significant other is in the area will attest that it’s not the easiest thing to do. But now, thanks to SEGA, you can play your game and please your girlfriend all at the same time. Now, even complete chumps can become sexual dynamos with the push of a few buttons.

Also of note is the washable cover that comes with the Trance Vibrator, making it painfully obvious that the creators had bored girlfriends in mind. SEGA, I tip my hat to you. Way to think outside the box.

Xbox Fishing Rod Controller

Ryan:

Probably one of the best ideas to come along in recent times, this is one accessory that is both functional and entertaining. This controller features motion sensors that respond when the rod is moved in any direction, allowing users to cast bait and set their hook realistically.

As might be expected, the whole thing shakes when a fish interacts with the bait. The degree of vibration varies depending on what the fish is doing; light rumbles accompany nibbling, while heavy quaking signals a fish has taken the bait. It’s not revolutionary, but it feels pretty cool all the same.

There is a problem with this accessory, however. Quite frankly, is it that much more difficult to head over to the nearest body of water and, *gasp*, actually do some fishing? On the same note, I wasn’t aware there was that much demand for more realistic fishing from gamers.

At only $25, the Topway Fishing Rod Controller won’t break the bank. But really, do people need more realism in their fishing games? Yeah, I didn’t think so.

Steel Battalion

Zach:

If you have had the distinct pleasure of shelling out around $200 dollars for one game just so you can pilot a massive robot vis-?-vis an unequalled 40+-button controller, consider yourself among the elite of video gamers.

But don’t tell anyone. They will laugh at you behind your back.

However, that won’t matter to you. As you set up your behemoth and watch all the lights flash on as the controls power up, a smile unlike any other will appear on your face. As you painstakingly activate your mech in its true-to-life boot-up sequence, you’ll revel in the fact that this game takes itself so seriously, if you die and don’t eject, you actually have to make a new pilot and begin the game anew.

And, as you first begin playing, you will die. Repeatedly. This game is tough — learning how to get a handle on using the controller effectively may as well be a job in and of itself.

But it feels right. It feels perfect. It feels completely authentic, and exactly how you’d imagine it would feel in real life.

From specified buttons for window wipers and fire extinguishers, Steel Battalion is an exercise in gaming. Only the most hardcore dare apply, and even then, jumping online with the add-on Line of Contact is perhaps the only game play experience more difficult than its single-player brother. Those people are good.

Too good. Scary good.

At least they got the most out of their massive investment — it’s likely most casual gamers, on the other hand, will not.

But make sure you at least experience this game. There is nothing quite like it.

Zach Stern ([email protected]) and Ryan Gauthier ([email protected]) are hopelessly addicted to all that encompasses video games. Zach is currently playing: “World of Warcraft,” “Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath” and “Star Fox: Assault.” Ryan is keeping busy with “Resident Evil 4,” because it owns his soul.