Remake finds Jude Law at top of his game

Romantic comedies are a tough subject for most guys. While the majority of males like to bad-mouth them at every opportunity, every guy has at some point been subjected to some iteration of “The Notebook” or “Win a Date with Tad Hamilton.”

While they may not be the category of choice, romantic comedies are a reliable method for pleasing girlfriends. The only problem lies in the fact that they are so horridly predictable that it is at times difficult to enjoy the plot … or lack thereof.

Luckily, for all those poor freshmen looking to win over that blonde that they’ve been pining for, a decent one has come along. Yes, a good romantic comedy. Hard to believe, but quite easy to enjoy.

“Alfie” is a remake of the 1966 film starring Michael Caine. This version tells the story of an English-born Don Juan of sorts as he enjoys all the women Manhattan has to offer. Alfie (Jude Law, “Cold Mountain”), the protagonist, narrates as well as talks directly to the audience throughout the film. Reminiscent of “High Fidelity,” this serves to develop Alfie’s character further. The audience develops a rapport with this flawed Casanova, which makes one want to root for him despite the fact that he’s a complete jerk.

Alfie is a limousine driver alongside his friend Marlon (Omar Epps, “The Wood”). While Alfie is knee-deep in women, Marlon is reeling over his recently lost girlfriend, Lonette (Nia Long, “Big Momma’s House”). Alfie informs the audience that they hit the “18-month marker,” at which point both parties begin to wonder what the relationship is and where it’s headed. Marlon manages to screw things up, and Alfie feels obligated to help him win back Lonette.

In the meantime, Alfie is enjoying the company of droves of women. His main “girlfriend,” Julie (Marisa Tomei, “Anger Management”), is a single mother who is frustrated with his fear of commitment. One scene finds Alfie responding to her “I love you” with the never good “Thanks, baby.” Needless to say, it wasn’t quite the response she was looking for.

Throughout the story, young Alfie finds himself bedding a few more top-notch women in the forms of Liz (Susan Sarandon, “Dead Man Walking”), Dorie (Jane Krakowski, “Ally McBeal”) and Nikki (Sienna Miller, “Keen Eddie”). While he gets his kicks left and right, always insisting that he’s “fine,” it’s apparent that he’s a lonely man.

Director Charles Shyer (“The Parent Trap”) describes the film as “a cautionary tale, one that says, ‘Wake up and see how your behavior affects others'” (www.rottentomatoes.com).

The ubiquitous Law, who can be seen in almost every film in theaters lately, does an excellent job of portraying the womanizing commitment-phobe Alfie. He runs the gamut of emotions in this film, proving that his past Oscar nominations were no fluke. The character could easily be played as a one-dimensional jerk, but Law chose to breathe immense amounts of life into him. As a result, Alfie is the guy who nobody wants to like but has too much charm to resist.

He explains his fear of commitment to the audience, yet refuses to work through these problems. Viewers feel a genuine connection with him, almost assuming the role of a sort of therapist. Alfie jumps from relationship to relationship, always running away from his emotions. Another character asks him what he intends to do for the rest of his life, at which point it’s obvious that Alfie has no clue. He eventually realizes that the one person he is hurting the most may be himself, which prompts him to rethink his ways.

Shyer has an artistic eye when it comes to making films. With the film set in Manhattan, billboards are commonplace all over. In a creative move, he places billboards throughout the film that encapsulate whatever Alfie is feeling at that moment by having phrases written on them like “Desire” and “Pursue.” While not incredibly subtle, it’s an innovative use of mise en scene to add some material to an already-sound narrative.

The film’s soundtrack is almost as good as “Alfie” itself. Mick Jagger (The Rolling Stones) and Dave Stewart (Eurythmics) collaborate on much of the music for the movie. Every song in the film plays along with events of Alife’s life, adding even more emotion to powerful scenes. The film’s main theme, “Old Habits Die Hard,” plays along perfectly as the ending credits scroll, making one wonder what Alfie will do after the events of the movie.

The entire cast puts in solid efforts left and right, but it’s Law who really carries this film on his shoulders, proving again that he’s one of today’s premiere actors. Law is phenomenal. Alfie is brash, cocky and chauvinistic — but he’s so damn likeable at the same time. Law almost has a Hugh Grant-ish feel to him, except he’s much less awkward.

Fans of the genre can’t afford to miss out on “Alfie.” This is the best romantic comedy to come out in recent memory, though that’s not saying a lot. The greatest part of the film is that it goes beyond love, dating and sex in its assessment of relationships.

Few movies these days can examine such complex topics in such a light-hearted manner, but “Alfie” does it perfectly.

Grade: A