Anticipation abounds for fall games

Fall is the prime time for anyone who loves video games. Companies love releasing games in the months leading up to the holiday shopping season, so what better time to preview the upcoming blockbusters of this year?

2004 will likely go down as the year of the pirate. No, not the guy with the eye patch and peg leg … maybe next year? The last few months have seen the thefts of some of the biggest games set to come out this year. First, "Half-Life 2" was downloaded using some Windows loopholes. Next came the reported leaks of "Halo 2" and "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" within a week of each other.

Does this hurt the gaming market as a whole? Most likely not, as these thefts have only served as publicity events for the games. With feature articles in Rolling Stone, this is free advertising for these new releases.

So without further ado, here are the top five games to watch for this season.

5. Half-Life 2

After six years of development, the sequel to 1998's Game of the Year is set to hit store shelves. This first-person shooter introduced great storytelling into the genre back when it was unheard of, and developer Valve Software looks to continue their inventive trend. "Half-Life 2" picks up right where the last one left off, following the actions of Gordon Freeman. Many characters return in this sequel, so players who enjoyed the first installment will surely jump right into the story. While Valve has confirmed that it will feature multiplayer capabilities right out of the box, many details have been kept under wraps. The epic tale will unfold when the game is finally released, Nov. 16.

4. Gran Turismo 4

Sony's flagship racing franchise brings out the big guns for its fourth installment, set to release in December of this year. "Gran Turismo" games have always featured realistic racing with authentic cars and courses. "GT4" promised online play, but Sony recently informed gamers that this feature had to be dropped due to time constraints. Still, the game is going to sell ridiculous numbers simply because it has the franchise tag on it.

3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Hideo Kojima's epic "Metal Gear Solid" series is concluding with its third and final game. This one is set in the 1960's, in the middle of the Cold War. The game's protagonist Snake finds himself in the middle of a Russian jungle and must survive by any means necessary. New features include wearing camouflage to hide from enemies, killing animals for sustenance and utilizing new CQC (close-quarters combat) techniques to take down enemies. The game is set to hit store shelves on Nov. 17.

2. Halo 2

The Xbox's first true blockbuster game came with 2001's "Halo." People were instantly drawn in by its deep atmosphere and stunning visuals. "Halo 2" picks up right where the last game left off, following the adventures of Master Chief. Fans of the original game will be pleased to know that the tight controls and inventive objectives will return with the new addition of online play. "Halo 2" includes the spectacular multiplayer that so many enjoyed in the last game, as well as several new vehicles for players to pilot. For Xbox owners, mark down Nov. 9 on your calendars as the day you became a hermit.

1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Without any doubt, everyone has heard about the "Grand Theft Auto" series. The newest incarnation of "GTA" expands the region available to players from the smaller scale of Vice and Liberty cities to the absurdly large area of the state of San Andreas. Taking place in the early '90s, this version follows the actions of Carl Johnson as he returns to his hometown only to find it taken over by a variety of gangs. Gamers will be happy to learn that Rockstar, the developer, finally allows the main character to swim and do a variety of other activities. San Andreas is definitely Rockstar's most ambitious venture so far, and only time will tell if it pays off. Playstation 2 owners will find out first, when the game is released on Oct. 26.