“Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind”

While some movie premises are far-fetched and loosely held together, “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” has a premise so far-fetched that its plot is thoroughly believable and gripping to the very end.

The story revolves around a couple, Joel and Clementine. Clementine, in an angry state, chooses to erase every memory she has about Joel, with the help of a little company called Lacuna, Inc. As soon as Joel finds out what she has done, he does the same, thinking that no memories of her are better than any. However, while having the procedure done, lost in his own memories of his life with Clementine, Joel decides he would rather keep his memories than have them erased.

While most of the story takes place within Joel’s memories, smaller characters and their personalities come into sharp view. Elijah Wood, Kirsten Dunst and Tom Wilkinson play the Lacuna, Inc. employees who help to erase people’s memories. The movie revolves around the fascination with memories and the ones you wish you could take back.

The film’s finale wraps everything up neatly and with a surprisingly original ending. A necessary twist in the plot causes an unforeseen catalyst. Tensions mount as Joel fights to keep the fleeting memories. A cyclical plotline emphasizes Charlie Kaufman’s divine script of intrepid insinuations about the nature of relationships.

While Jim Carrey has been said to be lacking in films where he is required to play serious roles, Carrey’s acting ability shines through in “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.” He is able to portray an introverted man with sincerity and charisma as opposed to dullness. He gives his character Joel a fluidity that is hard to detect in most of Carrey’s slapstick comedy work.

Kate Winslet gives a killer performance as the slightly off Clementine, articulating all the character’s quirky tendencies. She makes the character likeable, aside from her mood swings and constant changes in hair color. Clementine gives Joel a new look into life that his sheltered existence hasn’t yet seen, and that he realizes he doesn’t want to lose.

The movie flows seamlessly between Joel’s memories and reality, causing the viewer to get lost within the plot line. Each character plays a key role in creating a sense of disillusionment within reality. While “Lost in Translation,” also produced by Focus Productions, was a small film that many people made a big deal about, “Eternal Sunshine” is a triumphant portrayal of a frayed life that is given the chance to begin again.

The movie instills a sense of moral enlightenment that memories are a necessary part of life and that, without them, you feel a sense of abandonment, loss and frustration, as aptly demonstrated by Clementine after her memory erasure. It serves to show that although some memories seem not worth keeping, the other memories that come with them are worth the pain, and Joel tries hard to grasp onto and preserve his memories with Clementine.

Grade: A