‘Torque’: mindless action at its finest

The next in a line of action movies that includes “The Fast and the Furious,” “XXX,” “2 Fast 2 Furious” and “S.W.A.T.,” “Torque” is a must see for anyone who loves fast vehicles, minimal dialogue and unintentional humor.

Boasting some one-liners that would make Vin Diesel and Paul Walker cringe, the true value of “Torque” lies in its motorcycle chases, explosions and all around action, not any sort of acting prowess or spectacular script. Where else does one come across a motorcycle chase that runs on top of and through the cars of a moving locomotive?

“Torque’s” story line is basically as follows: heartbroken tough guy returns from running from his troubles, finds girl, confronts villain, participates in a few — make that many — motorcycle chases with rivals, survives showdown and wins girl.

The film’s rebellious hero is Cary Ford (Martin Henderson, “The Ring”). Ford is a free-wheeling, beer-swigging biker who is somewhat of a mix between Evil Knievel and Steven Seagal. Like any action hero, he kicks some butt, does a few ridiculous stunts and delivers some outlandish one-liners ? including his philosophical stance, “I live my life one quarter mile at a time.” Oh, and he gets the girl.

After being on the run, Ford returns to his old stomping grounds to win back the heart of his ex-girlfriend Shane (Monet Mazur, “Just Married”). Not surprisingly, Shane runs a motorcycle repair shop and is tough enough to ride with the boys. The boys in this case would be Ford and his sidekicks Dalton (Jay Hernandez, “The Rookie”) and Val (Will Yun Lee, “Die Another Day”), whose names are known only by visiting the film’s official website, not from its script and character development.

In order to win back his true love, the motorcycle-riding Romeo must settle an old drug beef with Henry (Matt Schulze, “The Transporter”), the leader of the Hellions, a leather-clad biker gang. After all, what good is a motorcycle movie without motorcycle gangs? Henry looks the part of a bad-ass biker and talks the part with a few choice redneck comments to Trey (Ice Cube, “Three Kings”), leader of the Reapers.

In order to exact revenge on Ford, Henry frames his nemesis for the murder of Trey’s younger brother. Thus, Ford is in quite a pickle, with not one, but two gangs on his tail as he tries to prove his innocence to Trey and get back at Henry.

Adding to Ford’s predicament is McPherson (Adam Scott, “High Crimes”), some sort of hip, MTV generation federal agent who wants to lock up the biker due to several misunderstandings between the hero and the law.

The golden moment of the film may be when Ice Cube, as Trey, weaves out of the way of a pursuing squad car and screams a famous N.W.A. lyric at the boys in blue.

The conflict eventually boils down to a series of motorcycle chases pitting Ford against Henry and a one-on-one bike bout between their girlfriends. Ultimately the good guys emerge victorious, and the pack of heroes rides into the desert sunset.

Despite a script that may or may not have been written in crayon, stunts that make “XXX” quasi-believable and some downright ridiculous product placement, “Torque” is still money well spent at the box office. It may not be a masterpiece; in fact, it is far from it. But if nothing else, “Torque” is entertaining.

Grade: B/C