Badger Bistro

Good food and good atmosphere have been the catalysts to the rumors around campus that you might have to wander beyond State Street to find a restaurant that serves diner-style breakfast foods until 2:30 p.m. This is true.

Located at 1511 Monroe Street, Mickey’s Dairy Bar lives up to its hype. Quality food at a deal-breaking price, patrons will come hungry and leave full without emptying their wallet.

The restaurant was the brainchild of Mickey Weidman. Anchored in its Monroe Street location since 1946, the ownership and menu prices have changed, but that feeling of community has remained. In fact, the restaurant reminded me of “Cheers,” where “everybody knows your name,” or The Max from “Saved by the Bell.”

When the Reese and Bass families took over the restaurant shortly after it opened, they considered the diners and their employees as family.

“Evan [Reese] and Norm [Bass] had no sons, so this was their family. They were very close to their customers. They even helped finance many students through school by offering small loans,” said Henry Reese, who has been associated with the restaurant since 1947.

The restaurant’s popularity in the 1950s may also be attributed to the general store that was at one time part of the restaurant. Selling close to 5,000 staple items, from beer to Kleenex, Reese explained, “At one time, we were the number two seller for milk and bread.”

Although the general store is no longer there, loyal customers keep coming back for their Yanks and Pancakes. The cheddar and mushroom omelet ($4.50) is large and light. The fluffy egg is delicious and filling and came with two slices of toast that were not greasy and soggy from butter. Specialty omelets such as the Reuben, Chili Cheese and Oriental Chicken omelets ($6.00) are served with Yanks–the moniker that refers to hash browns.

The Buttermilk Pancakes ($4.50) were tempting. Their sweet aroma lured me to sneak a peek at the table next to mine. The large stack of flapjacks would be the cure for any hangover.

If breakfast selections are not what you’re looking for, Mickey’s Dairy Bar has a lunch menu. The Turkey Club and Reuben ($5.25 each) were stacked high with meat and accompanied by potato salad. The hamburger ($2.75) was so reasonably priced that you might have mistaken Mickey’s for a fast food restaurant, but current owner and experienced chef Pale Thongnuam insists on making quality food for his customers.

The restaurant’s décor and design may bring back a sense of nostalgia for those diners who have been in the Madison area a long time. The red and black checkered floor, red counter stools, team photos and wooden Buckys fixed across the walls scream “On Wisconsin” and school pride.

In fact, many famous athletes and coaches have eaten at Mickey’s because of its close location to Camp Randall. The menu is displayed on wooden planks which add to the old-fashioned appeal, but it is hard to see from some of the tables that are at a farther distance, and there is no supplementary paper menu–if your eyes are bad, ask for a close table or get ready to squint. The old 1950s menu is also hanging on the wall–wouldn’t it be nice if sandwiches were still only fifty cents?

The Root Beer Float ($2.00) and nine different flavors of malts and shakes ($3.50) would complement a burger well or would serve as a sweet ending to your meal.

The only drawback about Mickey’s Dairy Bar is that it is only open until 2:30 p.m. The restaurant used to be open until midnight, but they switched their hours in the 1980s. Also, customers need to make sure to bring their cash–Mickey’s does not accept credit cards or checks.

If you can wake yourself up on the weekends before they close, Mickey’s Dairy Bar offers true home cooking. I recommend that you try this restaurant once–I guarantee you will be back for seconds. I imagine the restaurant gets extremely busy and crowded from 10 a.m.-1 p.m., so plan your venture accordingly. Until next week, happy dining!