‘Tis the season for Sevendust

Sevendust. As awkward as this name may seem, it represents not only a band but also an entire musical mindset that has become recognized and respected in the hard-rock and heavy-metal community of today.

Since its 1996 debut track “My Ruin” on the Mortal Kombat: More Kombat soundtrack under the temporary moniker Crawlspace, Sevendust has performed over 1,100 full-throttle live performances, produced four albums, and amassed a diehard following numbering tens of thousands in North America alone.

Aside from the gold certification of its self-titled first album, Sevendust remains a metal band that has not experienced the instant gratification that so many of their open-act brethren have enjoyed. At the same time, though, the members of Sevendust understand that quick rise can equally result in quick descent, which is why lead singer Lajon Witherspoon and his metal militia have taken the safer yet more rigorous path to fame over the seven years of the band’s existence.

With the recent release of their latest album, Seasons, these road-weathered metal musicians from Atlanta, Ga. have again taken a larger step forward with an extremely solid follow up to their critically acclaimed 2001 release Animosity.

Fueled in part with the emotions felt by the band members following the passing of Drowning Pool’s lead singer and friend Dave Williams last summer, the sudden and tragic death of Lajon’s younger brother Reginald during Sevendust’s fall tour last year, and the tense climate of fear and war that has gripped the nation since 9/11, Sevendust returned to the studio earlier this year on their short tour break to collaborate with long-time friend, producer and musician Butch Walker.

The group laid down 12 new hard-hitting tracks that encompass everything Sevendust was, has become and strives to achieve in the band’s history and future.

The first highlight past fans of the Dust recognize with this album is the return of the raw, over-distorted, in-your-face, double stutter-step rhythmic guitar attack of John Connolly and Clint Lowery as reminiscent of Sevendust’s sophomore release Home. With the guitars in tact and the beat driven by Morgan Rose’s solid drumming and Vinnie Reese’s earth-rumbling bass work, Lajon has been given the freedom to vocally project himself like never before.

Leaving the majority of the throat-demolishing primal chants and screams to Rose has left room for Lajon to belt out his flowing and articulate emotional choruses better than he ever has on the past three albums. The constant evolution of each member of Sevendust has proven that the road has musically taught these dawgs a thing or two as well as prevented the need to trade musicians with other bands to achieve new styles and techniques, which has unfortunately become common practice among nu-metal bands like Static-X, Dope and Godhead.

Fortunately for the metal community of Madison, Sevendust will be rolling into town this Sunday to the Barrymore Theatre to deliver its renowned live stage show that has even been described by the band as a full-contact sport. Those still healing from last year’s mosh pit will get a second chance to redeem themselves as Lajon and company bring with them the up-and-coming metal group Lo-Pro.

If the multichromatic emotions of Sevendust induce you to scream in anger at the pain of past injustices one moment, cry at the memories of a personal loss the next, and crack a smile of hope by the time the song is over, you’ll be right at home at the Barrymore Sunday when these southern metal musicians will be there to catalyze the mosh pit as quickly as they are able to subdue it.

Having just finished a highly successful all-acoustic tour, all bets are off regarding just how out-of-control these guys, who have been known to incorporate springboards on stage, will get when they get their detuned PRS guitars back in their paws. In other words, this ain’t no John Mayer concert, and jam-band fans should stay at home with their stash.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is primal mayhem at its finest. The best advice one could get regarding a show of this caliber is to stretch and stretch well before and after, ’cause there is no avoiding this mosh pit, which tends to swallow people till after the last rattle of the strings on fret boards have subsided. With that said, go forth, metal soldiers, and give these musicians the love and support they deserve. They’ve earned it and are more than willing to prove it, too.

Sevendust, with opening band Lo Pro, play this Sunday, Oct. 26 at 7:30 p.m. at the Barrymore Theatre, 2090 Atwood Ave. Tickets are $26 in advance and are available at all Barrymore ticket outlets.