Athletic department offers discounted Shania Twain tickets

Students looking for a chance to see a pop/country artist at a relatively low price are in luck. The University of Wisconsin Athletic Department announced today that discounted student tickets for Shania Twain’s Monday night appearance at the Kohl Center will be available while supplies last. The discounted tickets cost $20 each.

Shania Twain started her music career as a country artist, but is now better known for her pop sensibilities. She is one of the most successful “crossover” artists, and two of her albums (1995’s The Woman in Me and 1999’s Come On Over) have received Diamond certification by the Recording Industry Association of America, a recognition given to albums that sell more than 10 million copies.

Twain’s current tour is titled the Up in Front tour, named after her most recent album, 2002’s Up. Though it has been a year since Up‘s release, Twain took unprecedented steps with the album, recognizing different legions of her fans. The album was released in three versions: a green version for her country fans, a blue version that is Latin inspired, and a red version for her pop fans.

Tickets for other stops on the Up in Front tour have cost $40 or more, so the discounted student rate represents a significant decrease in price.

Discounted student tickets for Shania Twain’s performance are on sale now, while supplies last, for $20. Students must buy the discounted tickets in person at the Kohl Center box office, and must present a valid University of Wisconsin student I.D. card. Shania Twain performs at the Kohl Center Monday night, Oct. 27, at 7:30 p.m.