Fall theater preview for Madison Repertory Theatre and Madison Civic Center

Summer is over, school is in session, and while many of us are dealing with the transition from vacation to reality, Madison theaters are gearing up for new seasons. Fall brings many classic and original works to the Madison stage. Here is a preview of what is to come.

The Madison Civic Center hasn’t slowed down over the summer, with many shows coming into town year-round, and neither has construction on the Overture Project, opening in 2004.

Multiple Broadway shows will be showcased this season. First up is the romantic musical comedy Kiss Me Kate, which opens Friday, Oct. 25. Other Broadway shows to look forward to include Rogers and Hammersteins’ The Sound of Music, the ABBA inspired, “ultimate feel-good show” Mamma Mia, the 1999 Tony Award winning musical Fosse and the classic musical Grease.

Another great show to look for is the Broadway touring company rendition of Cats. The New York run of Cats was the longest in Broadway’s history, and the North American tour’s stop in Madison should not be missed. Look for many of these musicals after winter break.

Also included in the Civic Center’s fall schedule is an Oct. 8 performance of Rob Becker’s Defending the Caveman. This candid and funny exploration of the different ways men and women relate was created by comedian and playwright Rob Becker.

Thé?tre Sans Fil presents Hänsel and Gretel Sunday Oct. 26, with enormous puppets and spectacular stagecraft. The National Theatre of the Deaf present Oh, Figaro! Sunday, Nov. 5. Using sign language and the spoken word, this company performs a comedy based on the Barber of Seville and the Marriage of Fiagaro. Conductor Louis Salemno and director Lorna Haywood bring Shakespeare’s story of Roméo et Juliette to life Nov. 21-23.

Spalding Gray presents It’s a Slippery Slope Saturday Nov. 22. A master at what the Washington Post has called “public psychotherapy,” Gray builds commonplace events in extraordinary storylines with depth and humor.

With all these options of both small and large theater events, the Madison Civic Center is sure to please this fall theatre season. Tickets for shows are available at the Madison Civic Center box office.

The Madison Repertory Theatre is blossoming as well this fall with multiple theatre events. Currently in progress is the world premiere of Eurydice by Sarah Ruhl. This production marks the emergence of a new, original, American playwright and gives a modern tone to the classic Greek myth of love, longing and reconciliation. Eurydice runs through Sept. 21 and is directed by the Madison Rep’s Artistic Director, Richard Corley.

Beginning Sept. 5, the Madison Rep is proud to announce the first-ever festival of new American plays. The Fall Festival of the Future showcases works in progress and provides important critical feedback for those developing their work. It has been deemed the inaugural celebration of new American plays.

From Oct. 24 ? Nov. 16, the Madison Rep offers a theatrical journey into the human soul with Keith Bunin’s The Credeaux Canvas. This story speaks of three young friends trying to make ends meet in the East Village.

In the play, Jamie convinces his roommate Winston to forge a work in the style of a little-known French master by the name of Credeaux. Winston has a remarkable talent for copying great artists, and if he can create a Credeaux nude using Jamie’s girlfriend Amelia as his model, the group’s days of washing dishes in the bathtub will be over. The Credeaux Canvas is directed by Kate Buckley.

Back by popular demand, Guys On Ice is onstage for yet another season and will undoubtedly sell out its shows at the Madison Rep. Running Nov. 28 ?Dec. 14, this charmingly hilarious musical is a must-see. Lloyd and Marvin are back to fish and sing about life, love and the one that got away. Who would have thought a musical about ice fishing would be such a hit? Get your tickets today for this show.

Yet another musical emerges onto the Madison stage, with the world premiere of a story of love set in the Midwest. Heartland, written by Darrah Cloud and Kim D. Sherman, tells the story of three sisters who return to their childhood home in Iowa and to their mother, who is planning on selling their family farm. With songs and scenes full of both humor and sadness, the women confront their past and learn to embrace the things they cannot change. Heartland runs from Dec. 5-28.

The spring will offer three more plays for the Madison Rep’s stage, including Mercy of the Storm, the Piano Lesson and the Drawer Boy, which will be directed by Richard Corley. Look to future previews for more on these shows. Madison Civic Center has tickets on sale for all performances, and student tickets are available again this season for half-price at the Madison Rep.

These two theaters offer much for Madison audiences this fall. For more information visit the Madison Rep or Civic Center websites, or call the Civic Center box office for ticket information. Welcome back to school, and welcome a brand-new theater season to Madison this fall.