Madison hot spots strike a chord

Entering your first year of college can involve a difficult transition. Going from living with Mom and Dad to living “on your own” (albeit in a dorm, for most people) provides enough challenges; making new friends and finding things to do in a new city only adds to the stress of freshman year.

Fortunately, the University of Wisconsin-Madison offers almost endless opportunities for getting out of that cramped dorm room and discovering the city. There are movie theaters galore, art exhibits all over, enough bookstores to keep you busy for days, and coffee shops on every corner. But it doesn’t stop there — for many, the music scene can make or break a town.

If there’s one thing Madison has going for it, it’s a thriving local music scene. With a variety of sounds, a variety of scenes and crowds, a variety of venues is necessary. Hosting everyone from well-known acts like Ziggy Marley and Bela Fleck to local favorites Natty Nation and The Junkers, there’s a venue in Madison for every sound and crowd imaginable. Walking distance, driving distance, sitting room, standing room, punk, reggae, rock, pop, country, jazz — there’s truly something for everyone.

Even if national touring acts skipped over Madison entirely (they don’t, don’t worry), the local scene offers plenty of entertainment to keep the town moving. There are local acts that got together last night and those that have regular, weekly gigs at various bars around town. There are bluegrass bands, noise bands, hip-hop outfits and spoken-word, acoustic performers. And that’s only the beginning.

As a new school year begins and new freshman faces appear in town, this is prime season for some killer acts to hit the area. Here’s just a taste of where to look for all your Madison music needs.

The Annex

A Madison staple for years, The Annex has a close proximity to campus and a great variety of acts on its side. In addition, adjoining bar The Regent Street Retreat provides excellent space to wait before a show — if you’re 21, of course. The Annex features local staple Pat McCurdy every Tuesday night, a must-see for anyone spending any amount of time in the area. Watch for your favorite small-crowd acts to come through this venue on the weekends.

Where: 1206 Regent St.

In recent years: Soulfly, Enon, The New Pornographers, Numbers, Trin-Tran, Wesley Willis.

The Good: within walking distance of campus; small enough to allow for a truly up-close-and-personal experience with your favorite band; plays host to lots of up-and-coming acts that may show up on your radio dial in a few months

The Bad: the relatively small size means the more popular shows have the potential to sell out; many shows are for ages 21 and up

What’s in the works: Halcyon, $5, Aug. 28, 10 p.m.; Muzzy Luctin, $6, Aug. 29, 10 p.m.; Reece Gaines NBA Draft Party, $15, Aug. 30, 9 p.m.

The Anchor Inn

The Anchor is one of the city’s newest venues, and since opening has filled the strangely absent “punk” venue niche. Featuring lesser-known acts that enjoy some underground success, the Anchor will meet all your punk, metal and hardcore needs — provided you can find a ride out there. You’ll find it’s well worth the trip, though.

Where: 1970 Atwood Ave.

In recent years: Echo-Static, The Shivers, The Randy Cliff.

The Good: a great place to check out bands that are still under the radar; one of Madison’s only punk venues

The Bad: due to its far-from-campus location, a bus, taxi or car is necessary to get there; it’s a bar, so anyone who’s under 21 is out of luck

What’s in the Works: Gaelic Storm, $10, Aug. 28, 8 p.m.

See more at: no website yet, but call the Anchor at (608) 244-6095

Luther’s Blues

Close to campus, an eclectic mix of genres, and plenty of free and all-ages shows — what more could someone want in a venue? Luther’s boasts one of the city’s classiest atmospheres, as far as concerts go, and has been one of the most accommodating venues in terms of providing alcohol-free entertainment that isn’t boring. Comedians, big-name acts and local bands have all made stops there within the past year, and no matter what the act, fans are never disappointed. Luther’s also has one of the only large, accessible dance floors in Madison, which is a great draw for patrons of all ages. And the French Quarter Café on the lower level is perfect for before-show dining.

Where: 1202 W. Dayton St.

In Recent Years: Andrew W.K., David Cross, Natty Nation, The Wailers

The Good: boasts a large stage and dance floor; periodically hosts all-ages nights; attracts a good number of big-hype acts; offers a free shuttle service from the Southeast dorms

The Bad: less cozy than some other local venues

What’s in the Works: Subliminal Overtones, free, Aug. 27, 9 p.m.; Mabel, Kadence and Wonderful Smith, $5, Aug. 30, 9 p.m.; Kweku Ananse and the Sweet Vibrations and DJ Laurie, free, Sept. 3, 9 p.m.

See more at: www.luthersblues.com

The Union Terrace/Rathskellar

There’s nothing better than sitting on the Union Terrace with some friends on a hot summer day, drinking a cold beverage and catching some great music. Of course, it’s equally relaxing to catch an evening of amateur musicians on a chilly fall night in the Rathskellar. That’s what makes Memorial Union so great — its versatility. A favorite of UW-Madison students for years, the Union offers so many activities it would be impossible to name them all here. But rest assured, you’ll be spending a lot of time there over the course of your college years.

Where: 800 Langdon St.

In Recent Years: Bratmobile, the Dropkick Murphys, Manplanet, Youngblood Brass Band

The Good: the fun, relaxed atmosphere is unbeatable; a great place to see local acts, who often get the chance to open for the bigger ones; all ages are always welcome

The Bad: seating can be hard to come by for the bigger shows on the Terrace; no more 48-ounce beer cups

What’s in the works: Memorial Union bash, Aug. 31, 9 p.m. to 2 a.m.

See more at: www.union.wisc.edu

The Barrymore

Although this venue is another that is out of walking distance from campus, many of the shows make the slight inconvenience worth it. One of the largest of the local venues, the Barrymore has two levels of permanent seating, an open area in front of the stage, and a sparkly ceiling full of twinkling, fake stars. Despite the recent controversy about bringing outside water bottles into the Barrymore, the selection of food and drink surpasses that of most other Madison venues. And if the food there doesn’t do it for you, Monty’s Blue Plate diner across the street can get the job done.

Where: 2090 Atwood Ave.

In Recent Years: Ryan Adams, Eve 6, Lewis Black, Mr. Show live

The Good: a great selection of acts, most of which are fairly well known; wide variety of food and drink; plenty of sitting and standing room.

The Bad: not within walking distance of campus; some shows sell out quickly; permanent seating on the floor can be a nuisance at crowded shows.

What’s in the works: Lewis Black and Dave Attell, $35, Sept. 19, 7 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.; Yo La Tengo, Sept. 27, $15, 8 p.m.

See more at: www.barrymorelive.com

Now that you have an idea of what the Madison music scene has to offer, it’s guaranteed that all the artists coming through the area in the near future will much appreciate your support. In addition to those listed, there are also bigger venues such as The Orpheum (216 State St.), the Kohl Center (601 W. Dayton St.) and the Alliant Energy Center (1919 Alliant Energy Center Way) that showcase more mainstream, nationally touring acts such as Cher and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Remember, music and live shows serve as great ways to break the ice among roommates and floormates who haven’t quite gotten comfortable living in such close quarters with each other. In addition, many of the venues mentioned have plenty of all-ages shows, so no need to worry if you haven’t yet reached that 21-year milestone. To keep up with all the latest and greatest in the Madison music scene, keep an eye on the Badger Herald ArtsEtc. section throughout the semester.