Summertime fun

Summer is nearly here, and soon students will be left wondering what to do with the free time that is thrust upon them once classes and studying are over for a few months. Luckily, Madison and the surrounding area offers plenty to do during the upcoming warm months. Here are just a few of the many possibilities for making your summer vacation all it can be.

Located a short but definitely manageable drive from Madison, the American Players Theatre in Spring Green, Wis., puts on several classic plays every season. If you’re really feeling ambitious, make a day of it and visit Spring Green’s other major attraction, “The House on the Rock.”

American Players Theatre schedule — Summer 2003

“Pygmailan” by George Bernard Shaw

In order for him to win a bet with a friend, the phonetically knowledgeable Professor Higgins must “transform” the cockney-speaking Eliza Doolittle into a veritable gentlewoman in time for her to impress an ambassador at a fancy party. Higgins wins the bet, but in the process hurts Eliza and drives her away, setting up a series of complications that make for an interested ending to this classic play.

“Hamlet” by William Shakespeare

After two watchmen discover the ghost of the recently deceased King Hamlet wandering around Elsinore Castle in Denmark, they bring the ghost to the Prince Hamlet, the deceased king’s son. The ghost reveals that Claudius, who usurped the throne and married the Queen after the king’s death, murdered him, and fortells of terrible events in store for Claudius if he does not surrender the throne. Prince Hamlet sets out to avenge his father’s death in an evolving story of murder, suicide, tragedy and love.

“The Two Gentlemen of Verona” by William Shakespeare

This story of misidentification in love begins with best friends Valentine and Proteus bidding each other farewell as Valentine sets off on a voyage of self-improvement and Proteus stays at home with his love, Julia. Valentine falls in love with Silvia on his voyage, but eventually Proteus comes to the court and also falls in love with her. What follows is a hilarious sequence of mistaken identity, practical jokes and misunderstandings, all leading up to a classic, Shakespearean happy ending.

“The Cherry Orchard” by Anton Chekov

In post-feudal Russia, Madame Ranevskya is torn between the old and the new as she struggles to save her bankrupt estate. The play examines many of the problems, conflicts and changes leading up to the 1917 Russian Revolution.

“The Tempest” by William Shakespeare

When a group of Italian royalty are stranded on an island, several unbelievable adventures ensue as they come into contact with spirits, a magician and his daughter and a subhuman creature. A tale of love, magic and fantasy, “The Tempest” is a story that will be enjoyed by people of all ages.

For more information, contact the American Players Theatre ticket office at 608-588-2361 or go to www.americanplayers.org.

A major summer event every year, Milwaukee’s annual Summerfest offers good food, cold drinks and excellent entertainment. If you’re looking for an affordable way to spend a day outside Madison, check it out!

This year’s bands include:

Marcus Amphitheatre: Peter Gabriel, Jack Johnson, Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Fleetwood Mac, Foo Fighters, The Dead, Willie Nelson and Family, Santana, Angelique Kidjo, Kenny Chesney, Keith Urban and Deana Carter.

Harley-Davidson Roadhouse: Creedence Clearwater Revisited, Buddy Guy, Sum 41, Dark Star Orchestra, Joe Cocker, India.Arie, GeorgeThorogood and the Destroyers and Arrested Development.

North Shore Bank Landing: Weird Al Yankovic, Steve Winwood, Cheap Trick, The Big Wu, Galactic, Paul Cebar and the Milwaukeeans, Wilco, BT and Crystal Method.

Piggly Wiggly Music Market: The Saw Doctors, Rusted Root, Ben Folds, O.A.R. and John Hiatt.

For more information, go to the Summerfest website at www.summerfest.com.

If you’re interested in staying closer to Madison for the summer, the UW’s own Memorial Union has plenty of events in store to keep everyone busy. In addition to Open Mic on the Terrace every Thursday night at 9 p.m., a multitude of bands make the Terrace a stop on their summer tours. Grab a few friends and enjoy the cold beer and free music. Here are just some of the highlights:

Wisconsin Union Terrace schedule — summer 2003

The Ark Band, June 12

Groovatron, June 13

Lee Hawkins, June 14

The Buzzcocks, June 18

Umphrey’s McGee, June 19

John Brown’s Body, June 26

Rhythm & Booms, June 28

Latin Music Festival, July 3-5

Motion City Soundtrack / Truth in Fiction, July 10

Railroad Earth, July 11

Polkaholics / Johnny Socko, July 12

All the Pretty Horses / Red Vendetta, July 18

The Fleshies / Modern Machines, July 19

Bernie Worrell and the Woo Warriors, July 24

Know Boundaries, July 31

Pat McCurdy, Aug. 1

Natty Nation, Aug. 2

For more information, go to the Wisconsin Union website at union.wisc.edu.

In addition to the events listed here, local venues The Annex, The Barrymore Theatre, Luther’s Blues and Anchor Inn have kickin’ summer schedules that will provide students with moderately priced summertime fun. The Badger Herald wishes everyone a fun and safe summer!