A bar with a ‘Silver’ lining

Madison lost a number of unique establishments during the past decade. Hotel Washington, Dotty Dumpling’s Dowry, O’Cayz Corral — these are some of the names that form a roll call of extinct downtown institutions. Places like these brought a unique character to our city and were revered by a wide range of people.

The Silver Dollar Tavern, located at 117 W. Mifflin St., offers similar appeal. To many it is more than just a bar — it is a piece of Madison history. Unfortunately, there is growing concern that the Silver Dollar might soon vanish as well.

Located across the street from the Overture Center, the Silver Dollar is on a prime piece of real estate. The city is aware of such an advantageous location, prompting some to suggest it would make an ideal spot for a parking lot. If such a plan prevails, the Silver Dollar will be gone.

Under these circumstances, it is safe to say that the Silver Dollar is endangered. “We really don’t know what’s going on with the city,” a bartender said, then added, “but we do know that if the site gets condemned, we are screwed.”

The Silver Dollar first opened its doors in 1933. Owned by the same family after nearly 70 years, the bar offers friendly hospitality to locals and strangers alike.

It is in many ways a throwback to a bygone era. Described by a bartender as “a neighborhood tavern from the time when there used to be neighborhoods in downtown Madison,” the Silver Dollar’s appeal is found in its simplicity.

Mimicking the bar’s character is its shape and layout. The space itself is a long rectangle. A single wooden bar extends nearly two-thirds the distance inside and is framed by mirrors and vertical yellow lights in glass tubes along the wall.

Opposite the bar and towards the entrance near large glass windows overlooking Mifflin Street are several large round tables. At first glance, the tables might not appear to be anything special. In reality, the tables add an interesting dimension.

Most bars offer standard rectangular tables, or round tables that are simply too small. The Silver Dollar’s tables are huge ? the perfect size to easily accommodate a group of eight and their drinks.

When people get together at a bar like this, the overwhelming drink of choice is beer. Easy to share and enjoy, pitchers are very popular at the Silver Dollar.

Old Style happens to be a top seller and is available for $6.50 a pitcher. Roughly six other tap beers are offered, with the price going up slightly to $8.50 a pitcher for microbrews.

Mixed drinks are mere peons in the Silver Dollar’s beer kingdom. One bartender says, “We don’t have drink specials, and it just seems like everybody enjoys drinking beer here.”

Although beer and friends can be an entertaining combination for hours, the Silver Dollar does offer other diversions.

Near the front door is a shuffleboard table. For a dollar, you can test your skill gliding the weighted silver discs over a paneled wood surface covered with wax granules. The wax keeps the table slick and is so fine that many confuse it with salt.

The atmosphere is congenial and relaxed. The bartenders know many of their customers by name. The mixed crowd of townies and college kids get along without incident. Even the bathrooms are clean. A bartender explains, “People call this place a dive, but they treat it with respect, as if it were their own place.”

I hope the clock does not run out on the Silver Dollar. It is a part of Madison and should be for years to come.

Bartime will head underground to the wine cellar at Porta Bella, tonight, Friday, April 4. Porta Bella is located at 425 N. Frances St., just off of State Street. Cheers!