Spend your ‘Rent’ money on this musical

“There’s only us. There’s only this. Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today.”

You are singing along, aren’t you? For many people on this campus, and around the country, these well-known lyrics are just a small piece of the musical theatre phenomenon that we call “RENT.”

Almost seven years after its Broadway debut, it is still stirring the hearts of theatergoers with sold-out shows in New York City.

And the Broadway tour has taken the country by storm, making its stop on State Street this weekend at the Madison Civic Center.

The story and music of “RENT” seem almost ironic, since the talented man who wrote them died before he was able to see his first and final work performed onstage. The show’s realistic vision of life, love and living in today’s society makes for repeat audiences time and time again.

The message and themes are directly reflective of the life of its writer, Jonathan Larson. The characters are similar to people that he knew and had relationships with as he struggled to survive in New York City. And these characters are as real as could be.

Mark, the show’s narrator, is a struggling filmmaker whose girlfriend has left him for another woman. Mark’s roommate, Roger, is a rock musician whose girlfriend committed suicide after finding out that they were both infected with HIV. As these two characters attempt to pay their rent, their friends also deal with life on their own in New York City.

Mimi, a drug addict, is in love with the depressed Roger and attempts to help him re-immerse himself in life. Tom Collins, a teacher, falls in love with Angel, a drag queen. And all of them are struggling to survive in a society engulfed in drugs, poverty, sexual confusion and AIDS.

Although Larson wanted to depict each of these characters’ own stories, he also showed that they were a part of a community of outsiders trying to make it day by day.

Larson himself could not have predicted the popularity the show has grown to over the past decade. Its beginnings centered on Larson and playwright Billy Aronson’s idea of updating “La Boheme,” an operatic tale of Parisian artists. With some fine-tuning of an underdeveloped script and a production grant from Larson’s mentor, Stephan Sondheim, “RENT” was ready to be shown to an already anticipatory audience.

No one dreamed that Larson would miss seeing his little rock musical project burst on to Off-Broadway with rave reviews and die-hard fans, proceed to Broadway itself where it continues to draw sell-out crowds, and become the international musical experience of the decade.

Larson died on Jan. 25, 1996, just after the final dress rehearsal of his show. He spent his life devoted to his work, sustaining himself with the belief that his talent would one day lead to his breakthrough.

“RENT” has become one of the most prestigious and award-winning musicals to hit Broadway in years. People see the show again and again, not because of it’s author’s tragic death, but because the staying power of Larson’s songs refuse to let anyone who hears his voice abandon hope. “RENT” is magic.

“In keeping with the spirit of the show and the vision of Jonathan Larson, we are happy to be able to offer prime seats to people who otherwise would not be able to purchase them,” explained original “RENT” producer Kevin McCollum. “Jonathan was himself a struggling artist, and his dream was to create a universal piece of musical theatre that’s available to everyone.”

The tradition of $20 tickets was started in New York City, when the show moved to Broadway after a sold-out run in a small downtown theatre. Since that time, people have lined up as early as the night before to guarantee their purchase of the $20 tickets.

The producers of the show are committed to continuing the tradition of offering orchestra seats for $20 in each city the show will play. Special $20 rush tickets go on sale at the Civic Center Ticket Office on the day of performance only, two hours prior to the show, and are available to anyone, cash only, with a limit of two tickets per person.

Only 22 rush tickets will be available for each performance.

The Madison theatre community whole-heartedly welcomes “RENT” to the Madison Civic Center this weekend, opening Friday night at 8 p.m., with shows Saturday at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Call the Madison Civic Center Box Office for more information.