Scientific conscience hits home in University Theatre’s “The Physicists”

In the most vividly scientific play thus far in this University Theatre’s season of science and drama, Nick Tamarkin unveiled his rendition of Friedrich Durrenmatt’s political allegory, “The Physicists.” Written and first performed at the time of the immense threat of atomic warfare in the 1960s, themes too scary to seemingly speak of evolved into a light comedy with deep internal issues about three physicists and their contributions to society.

Set in the drawing room of a villa belonging to the private sanatorium “Les Censiers,” three famous physicists debate over the power, politics and importance of their scientific discoveries. Newton, Einstein and Mobius, all masters of their respective domains in the physics world, are residents of this insane asylum, driven “mad” by their knowledge and findings.

Or are they? A complex plot, centered on the strangling of “The Physicists”‘ nurses, begins twisting and turning encounters between these three geniuses. As their reasons and motives for murder come to light, the audience delves face first into the conscience of a scientist. “It is the duty of a genius to remain unrecognized,” but inevitably scientific secrecy does not work.

Mitchell Mullen, playing the physicist Mobius, was phenomenal in his role. Honest and sincere, the determination in his presence and dialogue allowed for wonderful chemistry with his counterparts. This in particular was apparent in the scene shared between Mobius and Monika, his nurse, played well by UW senior Andrea Geurtsen. Professing their love for each other, Mullen could not have been more genuine and endearing, with Geurtsen effortlessly playing off the ease at which Mullen performed.

Jennifer Chapman ably portrayed Frau Doctor in the ironically humorous role as the psychotic head of the insane asylum. At times, her acting seemed somewhat forced and exaggerated. But with the help of her three attendants, who dually played the roles of Mobius’ sons in the beginning of the show, her chaotic and extreme nature worked well. The attendants, played by Seamus Dooley, Andy Kahnke and Justin Levin, added a typecast and amusing exaggeration to Frau Doctor.

The two other physic geniuses populating the insane asylum, Newton and Einstein, (played by Dominik Rebilas and Scott Albert Bennett, respectively), quirkily made their appearances known on-stage, although both were much less profound and convincing than Mullen in their performances.

By far, the most poignant scene of the show was its close, when the three men describe their contribution to society one-by-one, evaluating their efforts to this world. Newton spoke of gravity, Einstein of the atomic bomb, and Mobius of the hope and faith that he has for humanity, declaring himself King Solomon and embarking on a life of contemplation in the insane asylum where these three must remain.

MFA lighting designer for “The Physicists,” Dan Gallagher, created a visually stimulating lighting montage that takes the audience through the history of light’s existence. The subtleness of the sun setting outside an open window and the blowing out of a single candle at the end of the first act countered a fluorescent and industrial lighting design inside the asylum in the second. Gallagher staged effects that are rarely seen, and the lighting for this show was done very well.

Above all, “The Physicists” is a bitter comedy. Durrenmatt “asks if humankind can be trusted with all that it has the power to discover, or if the realm of the imaginary is the only safe place for the mind.” Fear of the unknown and fear of the known trapped scientists during the time of the Cold War. But one of the scariest and most realistic parts of this play is the moment the audience realizes that the issues that these three characters are dealing with are, in fact, comparable to those of today.

What was once fear of the atomic bomb has now become fear of nuclear and biological warfare. The question for those who take in this production, as well as with the rest of humanity, is whether we should keep secret discoveries that could potentially help or hurt mankind.

“The Physicists” runs at University Theatre’s Mitchell Theatre through November 23.