Back to where it all began

Before Nas and Jay-Z were roaming the Foot Lockers of America with “entourages” the size of small armies, there was Elvis, the reason why we even use the term. The “King of Rock ‘N’ Roll,” Elvis Presley was the embodiment of a melting pot.

His music was an aggregate of the music that inspired him as a teenager; from gospel and R & B to country, Elvis shunned no music. He fused the various genres and, in the process, laid the groundwork for what we call rock ‘n’ roll. Elvis built an unparalleled legacy and became recognized as an undisputed legend with an audience that spanned all ages, races and now, generations.

On the heels of the ultra-successful Beatles 1 collection, RCA Records has sought to capitalize on that same consumer fervor with Elvis 30 #1 Hits, a compilation of a mind boggling 30 No. 1 singles from Elvis’ fabled career. Released Sept. 24, the album is a must-have for any Elvis fan and anyone who is searching for the roots of rock ‘n’ roll.

In a nostalgic sense, Elvis was the iconic depiction of American culture. He brought style, finesse and sexuality to his music, long before there were Latin heartthrobs and rock bands with attitude. Upon removing 30 #1 Hits from the shimmering gold case that encloses the disc, a distinct label says, “Before anyone did anything, Elvis did everything.” If 30 #1 Hits says anything, it’s that a comment like that is the honest truth.

Elvis 30 #1 Hits was not a fly-by-night, thrown-together endeavor. The CD booklet is incredibly detailed, and the corresponding website, www.elvisnumberones.com, is one of the most comprehensive sites ever put together regarding Elvis. Oh yeah, there’s the music too. Digitally enhanced, 30 #1 Hits and the bonus track “A Little Less Conversation,” traverse a musical landscape as diverse as Elvis’ career and influences.

The retrospective disc kicks off with the unmistakable wail of Elvis on “Heartbreak Hotel,” which sounds as crisp and invigorating as ever. Elvis’ signature intro, “Well, since my baby left me, well, I’ve found a new place to dwell, well, it’s down at the end of lonely street, at heartbreak hotel,” is one of those unforgettable lyrics that reminds the listener in a small way of Elvis’ impact.

The slow swagger of “Heartbreak Hotel” and the easy-going vibe of “Don’t Be Cruel” clear the path for another signature-Elvis track, “Hound Dog.” Originally a 1953 blues classic by Big Mama Thornton, Elvis spun the track into an entirely different track when he recorded the 1956 version that appears on 30 #1 Hits. The twang of guitars, the exacting punch of the drums and Elvis’ variation between harmonic vocals and energized howls are reminders of what inspired teenage girls to go into a frenzy at his live performances.

Shifting gears completely, “Love Me Tender” is another track from Elvis’ most formative years of 1956 and 1957. The track is a campfire ballad, appropriately written for Elvis’ first film, which just happened to be a western. The influence of Bing Crosby comes across in Elvis’ vocals, which are subtle, rich and melodic.

“All Shook Up” recalls the same feel of “Don’t Be Cruel,” and the recording is so crisp you can hear Elvis slapping the back of his guitar for a rhythm addition. “Jailhouse Rock” is classic Elvis. Wailing vocals against the electric bass, piano and drums offer one of the most rockin’ tracks on 30 #1 Hits.

“Are You Lonesome Tonight?” is a tender rendition of the Al Jolson hit from 1972. It was at the request of Elvis’ manager, Col. Tom Parker, that Elvis recorded the track, since it was a favorite of Parker’s wife. Spoken word is an instrumental piece of the song, and Elvis’ lovelorn narration seems so appropriate before he returns to the melodies that form the song one last time.

Despite the accessibility of “Are You Lonesome Tonight?” it is perhaps “Can’t Help Falling In Love With You” that stands as one of Elvis’ most beautiful performances. Performed as the finale for Elvis’ ’70s live show, the song was originally based on an 18th-century French melody.

The bonus track, “A Little Less Conversation” is the first single from 30 #1 Hits. The remixed track is a modern take on Elvis’ rich vocals. Drum machines, samples and horns pervade the Mac Davis co-composition that was written for the movie “Live A Little, Love A Little.”

The dance remix doesn’t do injustice to the “King of Rock ‘N’ Roll.” In the vein of the reworked “Free As A Bird” by the Beatles, “A Little Less Conversation” is a modern cut that fits into an MTV culture Elvis helped build.

He was everything that defied the rules of his time. Elvis was a musician with attitude and moves to knock your socks off. Since his 1977 death, a legion of fans and musicians all over the world have continued to be inspired by “The King,” and it’s appropriate that on the 25th anniversary of his death, he be remembered so fondly.