New show features golfing Murrays, awkwardness

Actor Bill Murray and his brothers are harking back to the days of “Caddyshack” and starring in a new Comedy Central show about golf called “The Sweet Spot.”

There are four Murray boys, all of whom are involved in the entertainment industry. Joel, the youngest, is currently a regular on “Dharma and Greg” as the character Pete Cavanaugh. In the past, he worked in commercials, providing the voice of Chester Cheetah for 11 years.

John is a bartender by trade, but he also appeared in “Scrooged” and writes for Inside Sports Magazine.

Brian co-wrote “Caddyshack” and has appeared in a number of films, including “Sixteen Candles” and “JFK.” He also does voiceover work on the popular cartoon “Spongebob Squarepants.”

Bill has starred in many films, most recently “The Royal Tenenbaums.”

The Murray brothers recently made a stop in Wisconsin to play the famous golf course The Brute, located in Lake Geneva.

The Wisconsin episode is set to air April 9 on Comedy Central.

Claiming to tap into sibling rivalry, the Murray brothers tour the hardest courses in the country and play golf badly, against each other.

The show is peppered with silly gags and fun facts about the course in question. The Wisconsin show features women clad in bikinis who dance around a lederhosen-wearing tuba player. Former Playboy Bunny Kelly Hazen rolls up in a beer cart to serve Bill Murray a 60-cent beer. He takes it and says, “I love Wisconsin.”

At one point, Joel Murray is forced to hit a ball from inside a sand trap. Bill stands on the edge and tells him all he needs is confidence to make the shot. Suddenly, John runs up with a beer bong and says, “No, you need some Wisconfidence.”

So goes the humor in this silly show. Bill is the only brother with comic talent. Overall, “The Sweet Spot” is occasionally funny but mostly awkward.

Nevertheless, if you’d like to see the Murray family making fun of Wisconsin while cavorting with girls and playing a terrible golf game, you will be satisfied.

“The Sweet Spot” airs Thursdays at 9 p.m. on Comedy Central.