Sunny skies turn Gray

It does David Gray a great disservice to describe him simply as a “local comedian.” He was that, true, but he was also a tireless promoter, a brilliant wit and a selfless friend. Gray’s untimely death last Friday, of complications from epilepsy, cut short a fast track career and silenced one of Madison’s most beloved voices.

You may be familiar with the onstage Dave Gray. He once hosted a very popular cable access television show called “The Gray Area.” He also headlined frequently at the Comedy Club on State Street. Though Gray had recently moved to Chicago to study and perform at the club/improvisation school “Improv Olympic,” he was still very active in Madison’s comedy scene. The onstage David Gray was the crazy Dr. Jekyll to his real-life gentle Mr. Hyde. Now the people that knew him best want you to know who Dave was, both onstage and off. (JUMP)

Jeremy Beiler first met Dave Gray several years ago when they both worked on cable access shows in Madison. Beiler’s show for cable access was called “Free Love Forum,” and Gray would frequently stop by the set to visit. Beiler currently lives in the same apartment building as Gray did in Chicago and saw him nearly every day. He remembers Gray’s knack for improvising in any circumstance.

“There was this store in Chicago called ‘Famous Sales,'” Beiler remembers. “It was this little crappy retail store and they never changed their inventory. Still, Dave and I went in there almost every day and spent an hour looking through everything. Dave would buy something every single time we went in. He bought the same hat three days in a row once. Anything for a joke — he was constantly improvising.”

Paul Dorfman met the funnyman at the same time as Beiler, while also working on “Free Love Forum.” Dorfman agrees that Gray was constantly making jokes, even in the most unlikely situations.

Gray suffered from epilepsy all of his life and Dorfman remembers an incident when he had a seizure while performing.

“He had a seizure at the comedy club once and he was on the ground making jokes,” Dorfman said. “People were laughing and he was making them feel comfortable in an incredibly uncomfortable situation.”

Gray’s talent for eliciting laughter was reflected in every moment of his life.

“We would walk around Chicago and Dave would try to hail normal cars as cabs,” Beiler said. “Just walking past someone on the crowded street, Dave would say something hilarious and make that person laugh. He would brighten their whole day in just a passing second.”

Liz Dederich was a dear friend to Gray for the last four years. Her husband played football with Gray at Memorial High School and she was with Gray when he passed away.

“We always played ‘one-up’ with each other. He liked that game,” Dederich remembers. “When I walked into the hospital, I was still expecting to walk in and hit him on the head and say ‘Okay, you made me perform CPR on you, you win,’ and have him sit up and say, ‘You’re so easy.'”

Unfortunately, it wasn’t one of his infamous practical jokes this time. However, it is true that Gray was excellent at duping people. Beiler remembers a recent trick that Gray played on him in Chicago just a few weeks ago.

“He called me while he was dying his hair and he was out of breath and crying. He said, ‘Jeremy, my hair! It’s falling out every time that I touch it!’ Dave loved his hair, so I ran right up there. When I walked in the door, he [was] just sitting in a chair eating chips and smiling. All he said was, ‘You’re a good friend.'”

But Gray was more than just a funny guy to his friends. He also touched many people with his generosity and supportiveness. Anne Johnson, who also met Gray while working on “Free Love Forum,” said, “He tried to give as much of himself as he could in what ever way he could. He was always a source of constant support. He cared dearly for his friends and will be missed by many.”

Dan Klein directed an as-yet-untitled film that was shot in Wisconsin last year. Gray had a principal acting role in the movie. The film will be finished by the end of this summer and will give a wider audience the opportunity to see Gray in action.

“He lavished love on all of us,” Klein said. “He has given me unconditional love and support for the last 15 years of my life. There will never be anyone that will take his place.”

Dederich concurs saying, “He never really held a grudge against anyone. He was so loyal to the people that he knew. I think that on some level he loved every person that he ever met.”

Gray was passionate in all aspects of his life, and he was fiercely devoted to the art of comedy.

“He knew every single fact about every comedian. He had books and books on ‘Saturday Night Live’ and ‘Second City,'” Beiler said. “Before we started classes at ‘Improv Olympic,’ he went online and learned everyone’s name there.”

But that dedication was not reserved for his career alone. Gray was constantly extending opportunities and encouragement to his friends. Dorfman remembers a particularly stressful day on the set of Klein’s film.

“One day I was feeling bad and Dave just pulled me aside and said, ‘You know we all love you, right?’ ”

Dieter Klipstein also met Gray at “Free Love Forum,” and he remembers being touched by his ceaseless encouragement.

“I will forever be in gratitude to Dave for coming into my life, and making me take stock in my dreams and myself,” Klipstein said. “He opened the door to a new world for my friends and I, and as hokey as this may sound, because of that he will live forever.”

David Gray will never be forgotten because his friends will remember him for the ceaseless support that he gave them as well as the humor that he brought to their lives. Dave would be pleased to know that.