Mighty Mamet returns with moral caper

Your average Hollywood blockbuster script has a hero and a villain who tango back and forth trying desperately to be the victor. So it is a rare and interesting thing when a script has a villain who is the hero.

That is the concept behind “Heist,” the new film by writer/director David Mamet.

“Heist” brings back most of the exceptional cast of 1995’s “Get Shorty.” Gene Hackman (“Heartbreakers”) is Joe Moore, a married, boat-loving super-thief who has to do one more job so he and his young wife can retire to Argentina. Delroy Lindo (“The One”) is his second-in-command Bobby Blane. Their antithesis of sorts is Danny DeVito (“Man on the Moon”) as their deceitful contractor, Bergman.

Mamet is responsible for an amazing number of films and plays, which include “Hannibal,” “Glengarry Glen Ross” and “Wag the Dog.” He once again weaves a fascinating and intense plot line with likeable characters and humorous moments.

At times Mamet seems to be trying a little too hard to be witty, and the lines seem forced instead of barbed. But the principle element of interest is that the audience is led to sympathize with and support a criminal.

Mamet is working in degrees of evil. His lead character seems like a nice guy — except when he kills people — and he just needs a little money so he can retire. His friends and “team” are all charming and funny — except when they kill people. But Bergman is much more evil because in addition to killing people, he breaks contracts and beats women.

In Dante’s “Inferno” treachery was considered a far worse crime than murder, and mentality appears to have persevered here. The fact remains that there’s not a single traditionally moral character in this film. The protagonist is just the lesser of two evils.

In addition, the police and various security personnel in the movie are made out to look completely inept and unaware of their surroundings. This allows Joe Moore to cruise into a scene and strategically maneuver everything in order to pull off his heist.

The film is paced quickly and makes for quite an interesting diversion. It’s always fun to watch elaborate plans unfolding onscreen in perfectly orchestrated detail. At times the script gets too overwrought for its own good, but mainly it clips along at an urgent pace.

Lindo and Hackman are actors who consistently fall into bad roles that do not showcase their ability effectively. Here they are finally given a chance to flex their dramatic muscle. The chemistry is great among the cast, and it makes for enjoyable viewing.

Unfortunately, there are more than a few blatant racial slurs in this movie directed at people of Chinese descent. It’s offensive, detracts from the film and Mamet should know better. There’s also a major, “What? How could that happen?” plot hole near the end of the film.

With a tighter script and the absence of racism this could have been an excellent movie. As it stands, “Heist” is as laudable as its characters.

Grade: B