Which musical is more ‘Popular’?

CAILLEY:

If there’s one thing that’s true about Tony and me, it’s this: We like surprises. When we found out the Overture Center would be making a big announcement Thursday, we were pretty damn excited — after all, the last big announcement was that “The Lion King” would be coming to town.

I had an especially good feeling about this one. And Tony can attest to this: I had a feeling we’d be surprised with something green.

Sure enough, the big news is in: Something “Wicked” this way comes. The Broadway hit will be in Madison in September.

My newfound psychic talents aside, another thing that’s true about Tony and me is that we love our musicals. (With the exception being “Grease,” but that’s another tirade for another day.)

So with two big, fat musicals on their way this year, which one is better: “The Lion King” or “Wicked”?

Easy — “Wicked.” First of all, the legacy that is “The Wizard of Oz” makes “The Lion King” look like a scared kitten. The original L. Frank Baum book was published in 1900, the Judy Garland movie was released in 1939 and the undeniably amazing cult hit “Return to Oz” was released in 1989. Essentially, “The Wizard of Oz” is the gift that keeps on giving.

“The Lion King,” on the other hand, has been around since 1994, and aside from the musical, future contributions to society included two pathetic sequels and a TV show titled “The Lion King’s Timon & Pumbaa.”

Furthermore, aside from P.T Barnum, “The Wizard of Oz” is the only thing that has made lions relevant in modern civilization with the line: “Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh, my!” Oh, and if we’re going down that road, it’s also worth mentioning that the only lion in “The Wizard of Oz” is a coward. Take that, Tony.

Overall, “Wicked” is a definitive powerhouse. While “The Lion King” has “Circle of Life” — the song right at the beginning, with not a whole lot in-between, and a reprise at the end. “Wicked,” on the other hand, has “Popular,” “For Good” and, of course, “Defying Gravity” — and you better believe me when I say I had the latter blasting through my earbuds during the entire duration of writing this column. Let’s face it: “I Just Can’t Wait to be King” never stood a chance.

In the battle of the musicals, the history which precludes “Wicked,” the cavalcade of amazing songs and the star power make sure that “nobody, in all of Oz, no wizard that is or was, is ever going to bring [it] down.”

TONY:

Sir Elton John. That’s really all that needs to be said. This is a battle of musicals, Cailley, so naturally the biggest factor that needs to be considered here is the music. And when it comes to music, “The Lion King” can’t be beat.

Sure, when I saw “Wicked” in Chicago a few years back, my spirits were soaring higher than a flying monkey when Elphaba belted the lyrics of “Defying Gravity.” But here’s the thing. The “Wicked” songwriters must have lost the will to keep defying gravity after Act I, because the quality of songs dropped faster than Newton’s apple from that point on.

In addition to “Defying Gravity,” “Popular,” “Dancing through Life” and “One Short Day” are some real toe-tappers, but what do you have in Act II? “For Good” is a decent, uplifting duet, but beyond that you don’t get much. “Wicked” hits its musical high point at intermission and then plummets.

When I’m listening to the “Wicked” soundtrack on my iPod — something I’m not ashamed to admit owning — I make it through the first act, repeat “Defying Gravity” a few times and then move on to something more substantial and packed with energy, the Fat Sandwich of musicals if you will: “The Lion King.”

Fueled by the fantastic musical talent of Sir Elton John, Tim Rice and Hans Zimmer, “The Lion King” keeps the beat rolling all the way through from the moving opening number, “Circle of Life,” to “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” to “Hakuna Matata” to “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” to “He Lives in You” right back to a reprise of “Circle of Life.” That’s constant music entertainment.

I understand a musical must be judged on more than just its soundtrack, though, so let me throw out a couple more points. “The Lion King” has puppets. I love puppets and you know who else does? Sir Elton John… and that black bartender in “Forgetting Sarah Marshall.” Don’t believe Sir Elton John loves puppets? Watch “The Muppet Show.”

In addition, while both stories are fantastic, “The Lion King” is presented in a far better fashion. With “The Lion King” you get vibrant colors, elaborative costumes and brilliantly choreographed dancing. Outside of Emerald City, “Wicked” just seems palls in comparison.

But honestly, Cailley, there’s really no reason to argue this. “The Lion King” is the eighth longest-running Broadway show. “Wicked” is the 20th. “The Lion King” won the Tony Award for Best Musical. “Wicked” was only nominated. “The Lion King” has Sir Elton John. “Wicked” does not. It speaks for itself.