UHS sets sights to revamp sexual assault education program

End Violence on Campus encouraged students Monday night to share their experiences in their dating, partying and sex lives in the process of making a University Health Services video to help students avoid a sexual assault.

EVOC is an initiative that the University of Wisconsin developed to create new plans and procedures in response to incidents of sexual assault, dating violence and stalking on campus.

University Health Services Violence Prevention Specialist Carmen Hotvedt said EVOC is set to create a new video for first-time students at UW that will inform them about sexual assault, dating violence and stalking. The video will be 20 minutes long, versus the current 72-minute video that new students have to watch on their own time.

“Students wanted shorter, interactive videos that looked like our campus,” Hotvedt said. “They wanted the videos about sexual assault to look as if it happened at UW to make it more believable. We are working now to create that.”

EVOC’s main goal is to inform students of how often sexual assault occurs, Hotvedt said.

Hotvedt added one in four women on college campuses experience sexual assault prior to graduation, and 13 percent of college students nationwide also report being stalked in the past year.

The new informative video will resonate with students’ real life encounters to make sure it is as a real as possible, yet it will not target individual stories, Hotvedt said.

Hotvedt added some questions that they asked the students during the Monday night event, which was closed to media for privacy concerns, consisted of how they meet people to date, what they see happening at parties, what a typical party is like, who typically intervenes in awkward or “creepy” situations that resemble sexual assault or stalking and if they have ever seen someone intervene in a creepy situation.

The video’s purpose is to show new students and freshman what older students wished they had known, Hotvedt said. The questionnaire Hotvedt provided students also asked them what words of wisdom older students have for freshman coming to campus.

Once the students respond to the questions, Hotvedt said they will put together real-life situations that relate to their experiences, yet nothing that is too personal to protect the students’ privacy concerns, to put in the video.

Hotvedt said EVOC promises to keep the names of students who participate in the event confidential, so they will not have to worry about having their experiences at parties or the details of their lives being depicted poorly in the video. He added the video is being made with support from the Division of Student Life, the executive director of University Health Services and the EVOC Coordinating Council to make sure the groups meet quarterly.

UHS Violence Prevention Specialist Shira Phelps added that though the video will not show individuals’ specific stories, the program is intended to be realistic.

“The video will not be invented and will show where students actually hang out on campus,” Phelps said.

Phelps said the new video project is set to be released Aug. 1.