Romare Bearden ‘Odyssey’ a trip of self-discovery

Romare Bearden, The Sea Nymph, 1977, collage.

Now through Nov. 24, the University of Wisconsin’s Chazen Museum of Art will feature Romare Bearden’s “A Black Odyssey,” a 50-work traveling show from the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service. The presentation is the American modernist’s interpretation of Homer’s epic works, particularly “The Odyssey.” This interpretation, as Bearden describes it, is meant to be a “collaboration” rather than an illustration, reinterpreting the tales through 20th century concerns and the African-American experience. He highlights the relevance and universality of these ancient stories, not simply for African-Americans, but for all of humanity. The original 20-piece series of collages explode with color as they explore the idea of self-realization, humanity and home. Line drawings and watercolor reflections by Bearden, with a peppering of quotes from both the artist and Homer, flesh out the series.

The exhibit runs through three rooms in the Pleasant T. Rowland Galleries. The first room is dominated by his line drawings, frenetic studies of the desperation and struggle seen in “The Iliad.” At close range, they are arresting in their use of line and space, but they fail to draw the eye from outside the gallery. The third and final room suffers from a lack of focus, with a loud audio-visual presentation, Bearden’s watercolor reflections on the main series and other miscellaneous works. It is in the middle room that the exhibit truly blossoms. Here, the main works in the series are housed: large collages that pop with color and echo Bearden’s contemporary Henri Matisse.

Each work is recognizable as a scene from Homer’s work yet opens up the story to a larger audience. Although powerful enough in their aesthetic pleasure, viewers are reminded by quotes and plaques that they are to interpret these scenes from “The Odyssey” as a part of their own existence. Given that each piece calls out to be examined, it is easy to slip into self-reflection as the images seep into the mind.

The exhibit is unquestionably worth a visit. Bearden’s skill as an artist is immense. The images beg to be stared at and explored. He makes an effort to go beyond the visual and explore the self, what it is to be human or to find a home. If the viewer forgets this, reminders are shouted from the walls in Bearden’s own words, encouraging the eye to look inward as well as out. His body of work is assertive, beautiful and intelligent. It is the method of presentation that is lacking. The constraints of the museum’s space detract from the sensory experience and miss the opportunity to highlight the collection’s jazz influences in the audio-video presentation. The space could use a bit of the self-discovery that Bearden promotes.

Set aside an hour and wander through the kaleidoscopic journey. And perhaps set aside another hour to journey in your head. It is well worth the time.

In tandem with this presentation, learning tools such as apps and websites are available. Various related events, including a poetry series and jazz concert from Idris Ackamoor and The Pyramids, will be open to the public as accompaniments to the show. Check the Chazen’s website for more information.