The semester that was: MCSC debacle remains unsolved with end of year

After the Multicultural Student Coalition was denied funding eligibility by the Student Services Finance Committee first semester, the student organization ultimately gained eligibility in a controversial decision made by Student Council in late April.

In the funding conflict that dominated much of the 18th session of Associated Students of Madison, members of SSFC said they initially denied MCSC funding last semester because the group did not meet the direct service requirement.

After denials of appeals to SSFC and Student Judiciary, MCSC appealed SSFC’s eligibility decision to Interim Chancellor Ward in a letter voicing claims of “institutional racism” in student government and claiming SSFC members failed to remain viewpoint neutral.

Ward responded by mandating the decision be heard by ASM Student Council, and said in a letter that although SSFC members did not commit a viewpoint neutrality violation that he was remanding the decision because of a flawed definition of “viewpoint neutral” in ASM bylaws.

After receiving a training on eligibility hearings and funds allocating, Student Council ultimately heeded Ward’s mandate and held the eligibility hearing despite an injunction from SJ.

However, four alleged intentional policy violations for MCSC surfaced in early April, which led SSFC to freeze the organization’s budget for 52 weeks.

Debate during the heated ASM meeting centered on MCSC’s meeting the direct service requirement in addition to arguments surrounding the alleged intentional policy violations.

Ultimately, ASM Chair Allie Gardner broke a 10-10 tie vote in the decision, voting for MCSC’s eligibility and officially reinstating funding for the group.

Members of SSFC then filed complaints to SJ asserting that Gardner and multiple other ASM members violated viewpoint neutrality through various actions during the meeting.

At this point, SJ has not yet decided on the petition and ASM members have yet to decide on the specific amount for MCSC’s budget for the next fiscal year.