9 elections violations filed against BOOP

While campaigning for the Associated Students of Madison spring races was still in progress, allegations of election violations against a slate of students who ran in the election began to surface.

Student Election Commission Chair Mickey Stevens said complaints have been filed against the BOOP slate as a whole, as well as against some specific members. He said the person who filed the complaint is choosing to remain anonymous at the moment.

Documents obtained by The Badger Herald Tuesday include the complaint letter filed as well as photographic “evidence” of the alleged elections violations.

The complaint letter claims BOOP members violated election policy on several counts, including committing chalking violations through name defamation, using sound amplification on East Campus Mall, campaigning in the ASM office and using university academic listservs, among other complaints.

The complaint also included photographs showing “BOOP” written in chalk over non-BOOP candidate Maria Giannopoulos’ name, in addition to a photograph that reads “she’s crazy” written in chalk with an arrow pointing to the candidate’s name.

In an email to The Badger Herald, Giannopoulos, who won a Letters and Science seat on Student Council last night, said she found the chalking next to her name to be defamatory and she would appreciate if people would “play nice in elections” in the future.

BOOP slate candidate Maxwell Love, who also won a Letters and Science seat in the election, said he had not heard of the allegations, but said these kinds of issues seem to come up every year.

For next steps, Stevens said the SEC will review the complaints and deliberate before voting if members want to file complaints to the Student Judiciary on behalf of the complainant.

“The person chose to file it with the SEC first, although they had the option of going to either Student Judiciary or the SEC,” Stevens said.

According to election rules, if the judiciary is going to hear the complaint, it needs to be within the next five days. With this rule, Stevens said SEC would be addressing the issue and voting very soon.

A possible outcome of this matter could mean a change in the election results if the violations are found to be true and valid, Stevens said. He added if any candidates were to be disqualified, then runners-up would move into the vacated seats.