After official dismissal, ASM leaders to reapply

huang_MM
During a meeting in September, former ASM Vice Chair Beth Huang speaks to those in attendance. Huang and another ASM leader were officially removed from office by Student Judiciary as a result of election violations.[/media-credit]

Two seats on student government were officially vacated following a decision reached by the Student Judiciary Monday night after hearing an appeal earlier this month.

Former Associated Students of Madison Vice Chair Beth Huang and former Nominations Board Chair Niko Magallon were ruled as disqualified from the spring 2011 ASM Elections, according to a decision from the Student Judiciary, disqualifying both from serving as current ASM representatives.

Chief Justice Kathryn Fifield said she was not sure how this decision would affect council but she felt this was an extension of actions already in motion.

She added the case was particularly difficult, which accounted for the amount of time it took for a decision to be reached.

“It was a complicated decision as demonstrated by the fact that it took us this long to produce it,” Fifield said.

According to the decision, both counts brought up by Huang and Magallon were dismissed. The first of these involved demonstrating the 20 mandated community service hours were in compliance with the court’s previous order.

While the decision states that both members made a “compelling” argument for why their community service hours were turned in on time on Sept. 15, the court found the completed hours did not constitute community service, as they did not serve as a deterrent for future similar actions.

The decision also dismissed the second count questioning the Student Judiciary’s jurisdiction in removing Huang and Magallon from office, stating the members’ terms were conditional on the completion of these hours.

The ASM Nominations Board was then ordered to immediately fill these two vacant seats by the Student Judiciary.

Huang said she would be reapplying for the seat she was forced to vacate. She expressed confidence that both her and Magallon’s credentials will get the two reelected.

“I believe the Nominations Board will recognize Niko and myself as the most qualified candidates for these seats,” she said.

ASM Chair Allie Gardner said the case was unfortunate in the large impact it has on campus and for student council.

“It’s unfortunate that something like an unclear bureaucratic error is going to lead to the removal of two people the student body elected,” Gardner said.

She added that the nominations board would be soliciting applications from the student body and interviewing candidates promptly.