ASM elections usher in new faces, UW will continue UC membership

ASMelections_MH
Gathered in the Student Activity Center, students eagerly await the announcement of the 2011 ASM elections results.[/media-credit]

Following an election student government officials are saying brought out higher than expected voter turnout, the University of Wisconsin campus will remain a member of the United Council of UW Students and will usher in a significant number of fresh faces to decision making bodies on campus.

Nearly 14.7 percent of students voted in the Associated Students of Madison spring election, with 5,924 total online ballots completed. While the turnout is lower than last year, officials said the controversy generated by the United Council referendum likely mobilized voters.

Student Election Commission Chair Renata Danks said ASM’s first question-and-answer session with the public might also have engaged students in the election, along with efforts to increase visual advertising around campus.

The United Council referendum, which appears on the ballot biannually to consider UW’s continuing membership in the body, received 3369 ‘yes’ votes, compared to 2186 votes to discontinue the campus’ place on the council.

UC Secretary Max Love called the margin on the referendum “astounding” and said the vote demonstrates that UW students care about fighting $250 million in budget cuts to the UW System as a united body.

“It’s a testament to organizing across student boundaries,” he said. “A lot of students understand the benefits of those conversations across campuses instead of just focusing on what’s going on in Madison.”

Love said the group strives to pursue efforts as a united coalition and may work to mobilize students against the public authority status for UW, a provision UC has said they oppose.

Matt Beemsterboer, ASM finance committee chair, said while the approval of the referendum will have no baring on the efforts initiated by Student Council, work done by UC to prevent the Madison campus from achieving increased flexibilities is not in students’ best interests.

“Why pay for a body stopping us from progress?” he said.

A second referendum to amend the ASM Constitution bylaws on term limits was also passed by a substantial margin, with 4,040 voting to approve the change and 1,376 votes in opposition.

Currently, the constitution articulates no individual may serve more than two full terms as a Student Council member. The amendment will allow a student’s service as a first year representative to not count toward this limit, with separate term limit totals for undergraduate and professional or graduate careers.

The climate of the Student Services Finance Committee will also likely shift after only one current committee member was elected to fill five open seats with four newcomers to student government earning seats.

Current SSFC Chair Matt Manes was not reelected to the body. He said while he looks to withdraw from ASM affairs, he still plans to seek membership on the committee through the normal application and nomination process in the coming weeks.

Manes said because the learning curve for new SSFC members is “enormous,” it will prove important for at least one current member to remain on the committee.

Members of the senior class also voted in Steve Olikara as Class President and Adam Johnson as Vice President.

Olikara, who received 99 percent of the vote, said he looks forward to building the infrastructure necessary to reach stakeholders earlier in the commencement planning process.

“I’m so passionate about this university that I couldn’t ask for a greater honor,” he said.

In a unique turn of events, Katie Lorenz received the majority of votes for both class secretary and treasurer. Danks said Lorenz, who is currently studying abroad, will select the one office upon her return.