Local venue takes on ‘project’ to innovate arts scene

projectlodge
A series of song, dance, story, butoh and preformance art titled ‘Dark Dances’ will be lighting up Project Lodge tonight.[/media-credit]

Innovation is key. When surrounded by a society that rarely strays from the traditional, the few gems daring to be different are often overlooked. Take, for instance, the Project Lodge, an artistic venue whose existence has been challenging and benefiting Madison’s art scene for the past two years.

While the space itself is reminiscent of a blank canvas, bare and ordinary, the manner in which shows and exhibits bring the Project Lodge to life is exquisite. In a recent interview with The Badger Herald, co-managers Bessie Cherry, Andrew Berry and Hayley Thornton-Kennedy and gallery manager Tyler Mackie of the ProLo collaborated on answers detailing the Project Lodge’s inception, views on the local arts scene and the benefits of having the Project Lodge around.

“It’s very rewarding to be able to present events that wouldn’t be available to Madison otherwise,” the ProLo crew began, “We’re all pretty dedicated to that, as we are all 100 percent volunteer. If we didn’t feel a great amount of satisfaction, we probably wouldn’t be able to thrive as we have been.”

Founded in February 2008 by Christopher Buckingham and Kendra Larson (both artists from Portland, Ore.), the Project Lodge hasn’t changed much despite being handed over to volunteers in August 2009. Each co-manager plays a juggling act, as they balance their own personal lives and jobs with the responsibilities of running this artistic space. Under their hands, the Project Lodge has evolved into something truly unique, as it embraces a vast variety of mediums, some of which have difficulty finding display space.

“We’ve broadened our perception of what can be considered creative expression. Rather than being pegged solely as an art space and music venue, we’re now considered a spot for literary events, interdisciplinary performances, classes and cutting edge performance art. Many ProLo events didn’t really have a clear-cut home in Madison, and we’re thrilled to provide that for them now,” commented the co-managers.

This “home” referred to and provided by the Project Lodge can and has housed just about every art medium to be found locally. Renting the space is rather inexpensive, as the ProLo seeks to attract all kinds of business to their non-profit arena.

“Many of the arts opportunities that we provide at the Project Lodge are for younger, emerging local artists in great part due to the more affordable gallery rental rates that we charge. Organization, a clear vision of how the artist would like to use the space and an enthusiasm for and dedication to their craft is always appreciated by the gallery management and is evident to our arts-viewing audience upon installation,” said the ProLo.

When asked about the Project Lodge’s views on the art scene today, gallery manager Tyler Mackie explained the intricacies of an art scene which is always in motion.

“The local art scene is expanding and growing as emerging and established artists alike look for creative new ways to re-frame the context of the viewing experience for their audience members,” she said. “It has been especially exciting to realize our role in that shift, as exhibiting artists seek out ways to make their reception nights fun, engaging and thought provoking.”

These fun and engaging gallery nights include, but are certainly not limited to, May Gallery Night’s projected World of Warcraft game last spring, June’s “art battle” between two exhibiting artists and even a fundraiser benefiting Gulf Coast seabirds this past month.

“Our role in the arts scene is growing hand-in-hand with the greater artist community of Madison and the surrounding regions,” Mackie continued, “and we look forward to ( … ) help[ing] local artists expand the scope of their viewing audiences and alter the manner in which the city experiences and encounters art.”

This sentiment does not strictly translate to just art exhibitions, as the Project Lodge has housed a plethora of acts both musical and literary. When it comes to concerts, the Project Lodge is happy to showcase any genre – as evidenced by a lineup which can range anywhere from folk music to punk rock. The experience to be found here is atypical of the norm, as the shows are performed earlier and are housed in a uniquely small space.

When asked if concert experiences were different at the Project Lodge, the ProLo responded, “Absolutely. [They are] a better, more intimate experience. Artists seem to love being that close to their audience, and the audience can experience their favorite musical act on a whole new level.”

Currently, the Project Lodge’s success is rapidly growing, as their do-it-yourself motto and dedication to expanding the local arts scene in a positive/creative direction is paying off. The ProLo graciously thanks its exhibiting artists for helping them achieve this dream and tremendous reputation. With its always changing agenda, the most reliable source to find a schedule of upcoming events at the Project Lodge would be their website, theprojectlodge.com. This Thursday brings an exhibit entitled, “Dark Dances,” an experimental night comprised of several performance mediums, including butoh, a characteristically dark Japanese dance performance art. As can be seen, for those looking for something inexpensive and a little outside of the mainstream, the Project Lodge is ideal.

As its parting words, the ProLo most wanted to stress, “We’re completely volunteer…and we’d always welcome more help.”

The Project Lodge is located at 817 E Johnson St. Interested in renting the Project Lodge’s space? Shoot them an e-mail at [email protected].