Women’s soccer: Lavelle and Co. welcome Drake in historic first meeting

Badgers look to improve upon 1-1-1 record
Jason Chan

Three games into this 2016 season, the Wisconsin women’s soccer team sits at 1-1-1 with its only win coming against Illinois State in the season opener.

In its most recent game,  Micaela Powers’ second half goal drew Wisconsin 1-1 against UW-Milwaukee at home. Now, the Badgers host the Drake Bulldogs at the McClimon Track/Soccer Complex Sunday afternoon.

Drake boasts a record of 2-0 after winning its first two contests against North Dakota State and University of Illinois-Chicago, respectively.

Wisconsin averages 6.3 shots on goal a game this season compared to opponents’ 4.6, but hasn’t faced an offense of Drake’s caliber. The Bulldogs’ 2.5 goals per game eclipses Notre Dame’s 1.33 and Illinois State’s 0.33.

Standing in their way is Badgers goalkeeper Caitlyn Clem who has 12 saves this season and only let in two goals. Her stalwart play is an anchor on defense and provides stability in the face of limited chances for opponents. If the Badgers can capitalize on their chances and Clem can keep up her performance, it could be enough.

The Badgers, however, will face the task of slowing down Bulldogs forward Alex Freeman and midfielder Kayla Armstrong — both  have scored two goals in as many games.

Wisconsin’s goals came from Powers and Dani Rhodes in its first three matches, but look for midfielder Rose Lavelle to make an impact in upcoming games. Earlier this month, TopDrawerSoccer.com named Lavelle the No. 1 player in the country as a part of its women’s national top 100 rankings for women’s college soccer.

Kickoff is 1 p.m. Sunday at the McClimon Track/Soccer Complex and can be viewed on BTN PLUS and will be the first meeting in history between the two teams.