Heartbreak in Columbus: Women’s soccer edged out in Big Ten Championship showdown

Badgers fall to University of Iowa after early penalty, will face Milwaukee in NCAA Tournament
Julien Payen

In the highly anticipated Big Ten Championship game Nov. 5, the University of Wisconsin clashed with the University of Iowa in a thrilling soccer showdown. With both teams giving it their all, it was the No. 8 Hawkeyes who emerged victorious with a narrow 1–0 triumph over the No. 3 Badgers in Columbus, Ohio.

The game brought back memories of their previous efforts in the 2014 and 2021 Big Ten Tournament Championships, where the Badgers experienced a similar 1–0 in 2021 and claimed victory in 2014 with a clinching goal in overtime.

The match’s turning point came early on when the Hawkeyes were awarded a penalty kick in the 18th minute, converted flawlessly by Josie Durr. Though the Badgers seemed poised to level the score with a potential penalty kick of their own following an Iowa handball in the box, the decision was eventually overturned after a thorough review by the officials.

Despite an offensive onslaught and a dominant performance, the Badgers couldn’t breach the resilient Hawkeyes defense. Maddie Ishaug’s late first-half attempt struck the crossbar in a tantalizing near-miss.

As the second half commenced, Badgers’ head coach Paula Wilkins made a strategic alteration, shifting to a three-defender formation in pursuit of a more aggressive approach. Senior Dara Andringa joined the midfield and provided Ashley Martinez and Ishaug with added support in the forward line.

Women’s Soccer: Wisconsin takes Big Ten Tournament semifinal victory over Nebraska

The tactical adjustment paid dividends as the Badgers continued to apply relentless pressure, dominating possession in the Hawkeyes’ half for the majority of the second half.

But, despite valiant efforts, the Badgers failed to convert their numerous opportunities into a goal, ultimately succumbing to the Hawkeyes’ early penalty kick, which remained the sole shot on target for the Hawkeyes throughout the game.

When the final whistle blew, the Badgers were left to contemplate a hard-fought 1–0 loss, ending their journey in the Big Ten Championship with a highly respectable second place.

As they regroup and prepare for the upcoming challenges, the Badgers eagerly await the UW–Milwaukee Panthers in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. The cardinal and white seek redemption and a chance to showcase their prowess on the national stage.