Women’s hockey: Badgers complete season sweep over conference opponent St. Cloud State

UW defense remained stout as offense outscored the Huskies 13-0
Erik Brown

University of Wisconsin posted back-to-back shutouts against WCHA conference opponent St. Cloud State this weekend in what proved to be yet another defensive showcase for the Badgers

The Badgers (26-1-1, 19-1-1 WCHA) extended their current winning streak to eight in a row after Saturday and Sunday’s repeat 3-0 victories over St. Cloud (12-12-2, 8-12-2 WCHA).

But that wasn’t the only streak that grew over the weekend, as UW also built an impressive 16-0-0 record at home this year with only one home series remaining for Wisconsin.

Courtesy of the Badger defense — anchored by junior goaltender Ann-Renée Desbiens — St. Cloud State left the ice Sunday scoreless against Wisconsin for the fourth and final time in this year’s regular season.

UW’s leaders on the offensive side included sophomore forward Emily Clark and junior forward Sarah Nurse, along with a supporting role from sophomore forward Annie Pankowski who supplied three assists over the weekend.

The first of the two battles started off with a bang for the Badgers. Hardly three minutes into the game, Emily Clark fired a shot that went screaming past St. Cloud State’s senior goaltender Katie Fitzgerald.

This set the tone early, as Wisconsin’s defense held steadfast for the remainder of the game while freshman forward Sam Cogan and Sarah Nurse would account for the final two daggers in the third period.

Sunday’s game got off to a much slower start, as both defenses proved stout in resilience until Nurse drew first blood for the Badgers with less than five minutes remaining in the second period.

Heading into the third period, Nurse’s lone score was the only one of Wisconsin’s first 64 attempts to touch the back of St. Cloud’s net. It was apparent to head coach Mark Johnson that something needed to change offensively.

“We made some adjustments and you know it paid off in the third period,” Johnson said. “We had pretty good rhythm and just a little bit different look [in the third period], and it really helped us out.”

Clark finished the series with a total of three goals, including two within four minutes of each other in the third period of Sunday’s game. Pankowski contributed greatly with three assists in total, with two of these three coming on Clark’s third period scores.

Nurse retained her spot as the team’s leading goal scorer this weekend after netting two more goals. Nurse’s score in Sunday’s match was her 20th of the season, a mark that only one Badger — teammate Annie Pankowski — reached through the entirety of last season.

Wisconsin secured its 20th conference win on Sunday, which may prove to be a significant and promising milestone, as the Badgers have appeared in the Frozen Four seven times in the last seven seasons that they have won 20 or more conference games.