Women’s hockey: Badgers look to remain unbeaten, gear up for weekend series against Dartmouth

Head coach Mark Johnson says it’s important to win out-of-conference games to boost end-of-season résumé
Thomas Cawrse/Badger Herald

Triumphing over the tests of another weekend series, the Badgers emerged yet again as the No.1 team in the country Monday.

Adding two more notches to their undefeated record, Wisconsin (14-0-0) bested Lindenwood in Friday’s matchup 5-1, and then followed suit Sunday with a 4-0 shutout, totaling its 10th shutout of the season.

The team leader in goals, Annie Pankowski, didn’t score in either of the games this weekend, but the Badger offense didn’t show signs of faltering without her.

“A combination of some kids stepping up and producing some points is one of the reasons that we are undefeated at this point,” UW head coach Mark Johnson said. “It seems like when we need a goal somebody usually steps up.”

Four different Badgers got on the board to account for the five goals scored in Friday’s match. Sophomore forward Emily Clarke accounted for two and added a third score Sunday.

This weekend, Wisconsin prepares for a tough matchup at home against Dartmouth (4-2-2), a team that has yet to lose a game on the road.

“We haven’t played Dartmouth in a few years, but they’re certainly a very strong opponent and it will be an important weekend for us,” Johnson said.

The last time Dartmouth made a trip to Madison was in 2009 during the national quarterfinals of the NCAA tournament. Wisconsin handed Dartmouth a debilitating 7-0 loss and went on to win the national title two games later.

Johnson explained the long-term effects of winning non-conference games throughout the season.

“The big thing about non-conference games is that if you’re successful in them, when you get to the end, the NCAA starts putting the rankings and information together, head-to-head competition within your schedule and also within your opponents’ schedule,” Johnson said.

This means when Wisconsin plays a non-conference opponent like Dartmouth (who plays in the ECAC), it creates a unique gateway for the Badgers to be further compared against other teams in their opponent’s conference.

The puck drops at 7 p.m. Friday and 3 p.m. Saturday.