Badgers ready to take ice

wh_SM

After receiving national championship rings at its first practice, the Wisconsin women’s hockey team is inspired by the glory of last season and eager to open up the 2011-12 season this weekend against Lindenwood.

Head coach Mark Johnson and his team will precede the game with a national championship banner ceremony this Friday at the Kohl Center. Johnson said he is proud to be able to honor his team’s accomplishments. However, he said he hopes his players will be able to stay focused despite the excitement and celebration.

“As that banner is being hoisted, it’s one of those memories that will certainly sit in their minds for the rest of their lives,” Johnson said in his Monday press conference. “I just hope that when they drop that puck we are ready to play.”

Johnson is also encouraged by the level of dedication that his team had for keeping in shape over the summer.

“One thing you look at from a coaching standpoint as you start a new season is how the kids have prepared themselves in the off-season,” Johnson said. “It is human nature that when we do something well, we celebrate quite a bit. But, similar to some of our other teams that have won national championships, these kids have focused in.”

The Badgers have been forced to prepare for an earlier season-opening weekend than in past years. Last season began with a 7-0 win on Oct. 1 over Rensselaer Polytechnic while this season begins Sept. 23.

To make matters more difficult, four key Badger players will be missing this weekend due to the early start of the season and the call of camp for the Canadian Women’s National Team. The absence of Carolyne Prevost, Brittany Haverstock, Stefanie McKeough and Saige Pacholok will create open positions, leading Johnson to expect some of his freshman to receive ice time.

“The bench will be a little bit short this weekend,” Johnson said. “Our young ladies will certainly get an opportunity to get their feet wet in a hurry.”

Fortunately, the newer members of the team have had excellent leadership and role models to learn from in the senior captains of the Badger squad, and are confident the strong work ethic displayed in his captains will inspire a similar attitude in the rest of the team this season.

“What’s most impressive is that the upperclassmen have created habits,” Johnson said. “They go about their daily work in a very professional way. For an incoming freshman, that paints a picture of what they need to do if they’re going to make strides and improve and become a better hockey player.”

Johnson and the rest of the Badgers are looking to one captain in particular – Hilary Knight – to keep the bar set high after last season’s success. Knight has been selected as first captain for the team this year, assisted by fellow seniors Prevost and Brooke Ammerman. Junior Brianna Decker will also have a leadership role as third assistant captain.

Johnson said he has had the pleasure of watching Knight grow as a player and as a person since she was 17, playing on a select team in Lake Placid that Johnson coached.

“Even back then, her drive, her motivation was to become the best female player,” Johnson said. “I think that’s what stirs her every day. Whether she is doing off ice conditioning or at practice, she continues to push herself and sets the bar very high.”

Johnson commented on Knight’s role change from last season to the present one, as she now takes on the responsibility that comes with wearing the big “C.”

“She is probably going to feel like she is more responsible in areas that in years past, she maybe hasn’t felt that she has needed to step into,” Johnson said. “But like I tell all my captains, the reason you got selected captain is because of who you are. Just continue to be the player and person you have been in the past.”