Badgers shut out by UND in opener

For all the hype and accolades surrounding last season’s national championship squad, it didn’t take long for reality to set back in for the Wisconsin women’s hockey team.

North Dakota’s Ashley Furia scored in the first period, and the Sioux never looked back as they went on to shut out Wisconsin’s highly touted offense in a 2-0 win in the season opener. With the departure of head coach Mark Johnson for Team USA duties, Friday’s loss was the first chance for interim coach Tracey DeKeyser to lead the squad. Even without Johnson, the loss came as a shock to a team that went 34-2-5 last year.

“I’m definitely not used to it since I’ve been here,” Wisconsin captain Jasmine Giles said of the loss. “It’s definitely a kick in the butt for us.”

With Hilary Knight and Meghan Duggan redshirting while training with Johnson’s Olympic squad, the team failed to capitalize on its scoring opportunities. The absence of Wisconsin’s two best players was evident, as the Badgers were unable to convert on several power plays or even hit the net on open shots.

“I think their defense was pretty good at shutting down the middle lane,” DeKeyser said. “We were outshooting them, I think we had momentum and we just couldn’t score.”

The Badgers didn’t help their own cause on defense either. A sloppy line change gave the Sioux a 3-on-1 breakaway, and forward Alex Williams made them pay. Taking the puck in front of her own bench, the senior did not even need the extra attackers as she went untouched toward Wisconsin goaltender Alannah McCready and put the puck past her on the left side.

Trailing by two goals late in the third period, the Badgers essentially gave away any chance of a comeback with three penalties in the last four minutes of the game. With the flurry of calls, Wisconsin did not get back to even strength until there were only seven seconds left in the game.

“It’s a little disappointing to see us make penalties like that,” Giles said. “There was no momentum that we could get with a 5 on 3.”

One of the penalties, a Malee Windmeier interference call, sent North Dakota’s Alyssa Wiebe off the ice with an injury.

“I saw the puck coming around the net and I was trying to go for the puck, and she happened to be there,” Windmeier said. “It wasn’t intentional.”

Regardless of the intent, the Badgers had to make changes on Saturday, which were reflected in DeKeyser’s starting lineup. In addition to Windmeier, four other starters from Friday’s game were sitting on the bench at the start of the second game.

It took just five minutes for the Badger offense to get back on track Saturday, as freshman Brianna Decker scooped up a rebound past North Dakota’s Jorid Dagfinrud. Lauren Unser, another freshman, gave UW some breathing room with her second period goal. Positioned by the goal, Unser took advantage of North Dakota’s inability to clear the puck.

“The freshmen made a huge impact on the victory today from the goal out to the front line,” DeKeyser said. “I think we knew we had it in us.”

Unser, who was skating in just her second shift as a Badger, surprised even herself.

“It’s kind of a blur right now,” Unser said. “There were a couple of rebounds off the goalie and it was just right in front of me so I knocked it in.”

Replacing McCready in goal, Becca Ruegsegger shut down the Sioux attack all night. UND’s Mary Loken had a breakaway opportunity but Ruegsegger was positioned well for the stop.

“It feels good to get a shutout,” Ruegsegger said. “Obviously it’s good for your confidence.”

To cap off the weekend, Decker showed why she is one of the most highly touted freshman in the country with a highlight reel goal. Starting from beyond the blue line, the Dousman, Wis., native skated around several Sioux defenders en route to a diving goal.

“She kind of weaved her way through the cones like a slalom course,” DeKeyser said. “She’s got some great moves.”

Although Decker injured herself on the play, the Badgers have found the spark they were looking to continue from last season.

“It finally opened the flood gates,” DeKeyser said. “Knowing that we could have done that yesterday but we weren’t able to, that was a huge relief.”