UW looks to stay hot in Florida

[media-credit name=’ANDREW SCHORR/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]WH_AS[/media-credit]

The top-ranked Wisconsin women’s hockey team heads south this weekend for an intriguing non-conference series in Fort Meyers, Fla. against No. 3 New Hampshire. While the Badgers currently possess the top spot in the land, the Wildcats have historically dominated this series. The Badgers are 0-6-1 all-time against the Wildcats.

Sophomore forward Hilary Knight, a New Hampshire native, stated this is a new year but also admitted the Badgers may have a little extra motivation courtesy of the Wildcats’ historical domination over the Badgers. That “domination” includes a sweep of Wisconsin last year at the Kohl Center.

“Last year is last year, and this year we are a completely different team,” Knight said. “I don’t think it is going to affect us at all; however, if it does, it will only fuel the fire to beat them more.”

New Hampshire enters the series with a solid 7-1-3 mark, the only blemish coming in a 3-2 loss to No. 5 Boston University. The Wildcats are tied for second place in Hockey East. Wisconsin, owners of a 12-0-2 record, have a one-point lead over Minnesota in the WCHA point standings.

Since early season meetings with Syracuse and Quinnipiac, the Badgers have played only conference games, and senior goaltender Jessie Vetter stressed the stylistic changes a series with New Hampshire requires.

“[New Hampshire] is definitely more of a finesse team than [Minnesota-Duluth] and Minnesota. Most the time, the WCHA will have more physical teams,” Vetter said.

“However, with New Hampshire, you know you are getting a very skilled team, so we have to show a little extra finesse. With that said, we have to keep playing physical in order to win this game.”

The Wildcats rely on power-play prowess and quick, elusive forwards to wear down opposing defenses. The conflicting styles of play, seen in the physicality of Wisconsin forwards Meghan Duggan, Knight and Brooke Ammerman against the crafty, speed-oriented style of the Wildcats should make for an exciting matchup.

Knight explained the speed and skill of New Hampshire is very much on the Badgers’ radar heading into the series.

“New Hampshire is a fast team; they always have great systems, especially their power play. They move the puck very well, and they have some great players. They are a good team,” Knight said.

An integral part of the Wildcats’ success has been forward Jen Wakefield. Wakefield, like Knight, is only a sophomore and averages over a goal per game, netting 10 goals in only nine contests. Wakefield led Hockey East in scoring last season as a freshman and is currently second in the conference in points per game.

“Jen Wakefield is just a really big, strong player with a great shot. She played with Canada at the Four Nations Tournament last week, so I had a chance to see here there,” Vetter said. “We just have to be aware when she is out there, because she makes things happen. She has a quick release and can get a hard, accurate shot off at any point in time.”

Despite the praise for the Wildcats’ power-play success, it is the Badgers who lead the nation in power-play efficiency. Wisconsin comes into the series having scored on a nation-best 34.1 percent of their power-play opportunities; New Hampshire has scored 20 percent of the time with an extra skater.

Like Wisconsin, the Wildcats are fortunate to have the invaluable services of a battle-tested, proven goaltender. Though only a sophomore, Wildcat goalie Kayley Herman has established herself as an elite stopper, and her success has caught the eye of Vetter. Herman led Hockey East in virtually every goaltending category a year ago.

“Herman is definitely a solid goalie, and you have to earn your goals against her,” Vetter said. “You need a lot of shots and a lot of rebounds to get any pucks past her.”