Badgers vital in U.S. title

[media-credit name=’ANDREW SHORR//Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]WH7_AS[/media-credit]

The U.S. Women’s Select Team, assisted by strong performances from four current Badgers, outlasted Canada in a dramatic shootout in the championship game to win the Four Nations Cup. Seniors Jessie Vetter and Erika Lawler, as well as junior Meghan Duggan and sophomore Hilary Knight, represented the U.S. in last week’s tournament played at the 1980 Herb Brooks Arena in Lake Placid, N.Y.

The tournament consisted of the best players from Sweden, Finland, the U.S. and Canada. Team USA has finished either first or second in the tournament in each of the team’s 11 appearances in the Four Nations Tournament.

Team USA finished last week’s tournament with a 3-1 record, with wins over Sweden and Finland to complement the thrilling shootout victory over archrival Canada in the championship game. Just three days before the championship game, Canada topped the U.S. team 4-2 in the U.S.’s first game. Canada had won the Four Nations Tournament four consecutive years, each time defeating the U.S. in the championship game.

“It’s definitely exciting every time you have a chance to play Canada, and especially when you beat them,” Vetter said. “The team was very excited. … We just had a very fun time out there during the week.”

Wisconsin had quite an impact on the tournament’s outcome, as Knight, Duggan and Lawler all saw significant ice time and had very tangible contributions to the winning effort.

“I think it was a great overall experience for Wisconsin players,” Duggan said. “Everyone I’ve talked to about the tournament, I’ve said, ‘You should’ve seen Vetter.’ Hilary [Knight] had a great showing for herself, putting in a couple of goals, and Lawler is always a huge part of that team; she makes things happen out there. It was a great tournament for us and the U.S. team.”

Knight finished the tournament as the U.S.’s top scorer with five points, and Duggan also chipped in with a pair of goals. U.S. head coach Katey Stone placed Knight and Duggan on the same line, something that Wisconsin coach Mark Johnson has yet to try. Blessed with hard right-handed shots, good size, speed and non-stop motors, both Knight and Duggan play such similar styles and it was a surprise to both of them when they found out they would be playing together.

“It was awesome for me to play with Hilary,” Duggan said. “We haven’t played here together yet. We both are almost the same type of player: we both go in the corners, and are big. I don’t know if that will ever work here, but it was a lot of fun.”

It was Vetter, however, who really stole the show. The senior goaltender earned Player of the Game honors in the championship game as she rejected six straight Canadian shootout attempts.

“Jessie Vetter had an excellent performance,” Knight said. Every time she stopped a Canadian player in the shootout, Meghan (Duggan) and I gave each other a huge hug just because it was incredible.”

Speculation regarding Vetter as a possible 2010 Winter Olympics U.S. goalie intensified following her heroic performance in Lake Placid.

“That would be pretty exciting if I do have the chance to play in Vancouver in 2010,” Vetter said. “You know that’s why I am out here every day with the Badgers working hard. I have to just make the team in general. If I do get a chance to start a game, say against the Canadians, it would definitely be exciting.”