Men’s soccer: Attacking midfielder provides spark for UW in first two wins of season

Sophomore midfielder Christopher Mueller has played a key offensive role for Wisconsin this season
Laena Carroll

After starting the season 0-4, the Wisconsin men’s soccer team needed a jolt of creativity and energy.

This spark came from sophomore midfielder Christopher Mueller’s play.

Mueller scored his first career goal for the Badgers in dramatic fashion Sept. 11 at Rutgers. With the final seconds ticking off the clock in double overtime, Mueller received a pass into the box and sent his shot flying past the goalkeeper into the upper left corner of the net.

The sophomore had given the Badgers their first win of the season, and it could not have come at a better time, Mueller said.

“It was just huge to come away from Rutgers on the road with three points from a goal that we pulled off right in the last second,” he said. “It was unbelievable. It was a big moment for me.”

The goal gave the Badgers their first conference win since 2013.

Mueller’s game-winning goal earned him a spot on the College Soccer News National Team of the Week for the week of Sept. 14. SportsCenter’s “Top 10 Plays” segment also featured the goal.

The Schaumberg, Illinois native followed up his game-winner against Rutgers with another stellar goal to give Wisconsin a 2-1 win on the road at St. John’s. Mueller drew a foul from 25 yards out, and he stepped up to send the resulting free kick fizzing past the Red Storm goalkeeper.

Two career goals, two game-winners. Not bad.

After a tough first season in Cardinal and White, Mueller has been able to adapt to the college game, which takes some time to get used to, he said. Playing for UW head coach John Trask is has helped Mueller adjust to this new style of play.

Mueller said Trask demands different things from his players, and the head coach agreed.

“The big thing for [Mueller] at this point in his career is we’re asking a lot more of him as an attacking midfielder,” Trask said. “He’s still young … It’s about getting the balance of how many touches he takes and who he’s feeding — that’s just all part of the maturing of a player in that role.”

Mueller has put in extra work in the offseason to aid in this maturation, getting more fit and being more willing to work defensively, he said.

A key aspect of Mueller’s game that has allowed him to make an impact this year is his body type. Standing at 5-foot-9, Mueller is the perfect size for a soccer player, according to Trask. Last year, Trask said Mueller wasn’t physically ready to compete for the whole game, but now that’s changed.

“[Mueller]’s an extremely strong young man,” he said. “He’s got that low center of gravity and he’s shifty. Then you compliment that with not just tricks, but once the ball’s on his foot, he’s one of those guys who’s faster with the ball than he is without it.”

Physical attributes aside, Mueller brings a unique dynamic to the offense playing in the attacking midfielder role. Trask said Mueller is a clever player, and that he uses his intelligence well during the game.

Mueller has already improved immensely from his freshman season. Last year, he tallied one assist and 12 shots in 16 appearances for the Badgers.

So far this season, Mueller has already proven to be the biggest offensive threat for UW. Through seven games, the sophomore leads the team in points (five), goals (two), and is tied for the lead in assists (one). Mueller has started the past three games for the Badgers, and is likely to far surpass his number of five starts from the 2014 campaign.

Playing in the attacking midfielder role, Mueller says he tries to model his play after Eden Hazard, a professional soccer player for English club Chelsea FC.

“[Hazard]’s really good on the ball and works hard defensively,” he said. “He’s just super creative — a magician. I love to watch him play.”

In just one season, Mueller has come a long way, producing bright moments and good minutes. But Trask said the coaching staff is still looking for more consistency out of the young midfielder.

If Mueller can find that consistency, Trask believes he can leave a lasting impact in his last seasons for the Badgers.

“We always knew that [Mueller] was a special attacking player,” Trask said. “To know that he’s got over two and half years left in this program, he can really make his mark in college soccer and at Wisconsin with what he can bring to the table.”