Geistlinger & Hayes: Everything you need to know about Saturday’s CFB lineup

Highlighting all the best games from around the country
Explore Georgia

Now that the halfway point in the 2016-17 NCAA College Football season has come and gone, The Badger Herald Sports section is happy to introduce a weekly double feature that highlights the biggest games outside of Madison each Saturday.

For any fellow College Football junkies out there, feel free to chime in and tweet any questions, comments or requests to @BHeraldSports for the column going forward.

Football: No. 11 Wisconsin hosts No. 7 Nebraska as budding rivalry returns to Madison

No. 7 Nebraska (7-0) at No. 11 Wisconsin (5-2)

Where: Camp Randall Stadium, Madison, Wisconsin

When: 6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29

TV: ESPN (Channel 660 on Residence Hall Cable) / WatchESPN

Line: Wisconsin (-9.0)

Since the University of Nebraska joined the Big Ten in 2011, its football team has faced University of Wisconsin five times. The Badgers have won four of those games by an average of 26.75 points. The Cornhuskers have not faired well in Madison. Their lone win was a 30-27 advantage in Lincoln during the 2012 season. Nebraska’s last three Big Ten games have come against teams boasting a combined 3-9 record in conference play. Their masquerade as an undefeated team ends in Madison this weekend.

Geistlinger: Wisconsin 34, Nebraska 13

Hayes: Wisconsin 24, Nebraska 19

No. 3 Clemson (7-0) at No. 12 Florida State (5-2)

Where: Doak Campbell Stadium, Tallahassee, Florida

When: 7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29 

TV: ABC (Channel 607 in Residence Halls) / WatchESPN

Line: Clemson (-4.0)

The last few seasons have seen this game quickly blossom into a decisive brawl for ACC bragging rights, and the winner of this matchup has appeared in two of the last three national championships. Last season’s game was dead even through the third quarter, but Clemson University star quarterback Deshaun Watson and his fourth-quarter heroics gave the Tigers a 10-point edge by the final whistle. Florida State University has been too inconsistent to warrant a four-point cover from me. Clemson will win it, and Watson will have a defining performance for his stock in the race for the Heisman Trophy.

Geistlinger: Clemson 27, Florida State 20

Hayes: Clemson 31, Florida State 17

Football: UW still searching for definitive starting five on offensive line

No. 4 Washington (7-0) at No. 17 Utah (6-1)

Where: Rice-Eccles Stadium, Salt Lake City Utah

When: 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29

TV: FS1 (Channel 672 on Residence Hall Cable)

Line: Washington (-11.0)

Many prominent college football analysts are trying to convince everyone in the central and eastern time zones that the University of Washington is a playoff-caliber team with a Heisman candidate in quarterback Jake Browning. For the most part, there is no choice but to believe this as most of us in the central and eastern zones don’t prefer to watch Pac-12 games with 10:30 p.m. kickoffs. At 7-0, Washington has rebounded from an embarrassing start to the season after defeating Rutgers University by only 35 points in Week 1. This line seems like it should probably be closer to two touchdowns.

Geistlinger: Washington 45, Utah 21

Hayes: Washington 34, Utah 28

Geistlinger’s Upset Alert: No. 14 Florida (7-0) at Georgia (6-1)

Where: EverBank Field, Jacksonville, Florida

When: 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29

TV: CBS (Channel 603 on Residence Hall Cable)

Line: Florida (-8)

This SEC matchup between the University of Georgia and the University of Florida will be played at EverBank field, the home of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Georgia’s keys to victory lie in the hands of junior running back Nick Chubb and his ability to take pressure off of 18-year-old and true-freshman quarterback Jacob Eason. Thanks to things like miracle Hail Mary passes from University of Tennessee quarterback Josh Dobbs, close games have been cruel to Georgia this season. But I think this week the Bulldogs will conquer those demons and get over the hump against the Gators in a close one Saturday.

Geistlinger: Georgia 28, Florida 27

Football: No. 10 Wisconsin brings back Heartland Trophy to Madison with 17-9 win over Iowa

Hayes’ Upset Alert: No. 15 Auburn (5-2) at Ole Miss (3-4)

Where: Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, Oxford, Mississippi

When: 6:15 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29

TV: WatchESPN (Streaming Only) / SEC Network

Line: Auburn (-4.0)

I think Auburn University stunned most of the country last Saturday with their 56-3 beatdown over the University of Arkansas at Jordan-Hare, but I am not sold on these Tigers just yet. On top of that, Vaught-Hemingway Stadium is no easy venue either. Just look at the way the Rebels have challenged Auburn’s in-state rival and national powerhouse No. 1 University of Alabama during their last two visits. I’m taking Mississippi at home in The Grove.

Hayes: Ole Miss 34, Auburn 21