Men’s Hockey: Badgers prep for Border Battle

Weekend series against bitter rival Minnesota has all the makings for drama on the Kohl Center ice
Jason Chan

In another historic series between the two longstanding programs, the Wisconsin men’s hockey team (4-10-6, 1-5-2-1 Big Ten) will host rival, Minnesota (11-10-0, 6-2-0 Big Ten).

The close border rivalry brings heightened tensions and will likely draw a packed crowd to the Kohl Center in the first meetings between the two squads this year.

The Badgers are hoping to bounce back from a four game winless streak as they enter a stretch of eight home games that will take them into late February.

The team is fresh off two losses to Penn State, including one in overtime, and is looking to have a much improved second half of the year — especially after coming up short in recent losses by small margins of defeat.

Their lack of success on the road this year has hurt them, but the prospect of a long home stint is promising as a win could put them above .500 in Madison for the first time this year.

The Gophers have seemingly been headed in the opposite direction. Minnesota is coming off of a three game win streak carrying momentum, but they are heading into the second half of a brutal Big Ten schedule.

On a purely statistical basis, the Gophers definitely boast a more impressive roster than the Badgers; NHL teams have already drafted 12 Minnesota players with loads of senior experience. While they have been a team of streaks this season, the Gophers are eager to steal two games from a rival this weekend.

Badgers Keys to Victory:

To pull off this upset, the Badgers will need to communicate better on the defensive end.

The team has faced five, top-20 ranked teams this year and has competed well against almost everyone. But it’s been their defense that has let them down in the waning moments of most of those games.

Despite being seventh in the nation in penalty-killing this season, UW has lost the majority of their games through their inability to keep five men on the ice.

Minnesota is mature and very skilled on the attack, leaving the Badgers’ forwards with little room for error in what is sure to be a back-and-forth slugfest.

A big part in preventing some of those late goals is blocking shots.
Freshman goalkeeper Matt Jurusik has had a record setting start to his career, but is under heavy duress each and every game.

In the two games against Penn State last weekend, his save percentage increased despite letting in a higher GAA than in his previous games. Jurusik recorded 54 saves in the first game of the series, only eight shy of second place for the single game UW record.

The freshman goalie is seeing too many shots. If the Badgers want to start their home stretch off with any victories, they’ll have to clean up the back end quickly.

Minnesota Player to Watch

Leon Bristedt leads the potent Minnesota offense, tied for most points on the team with 22, notching 11 goals and 11 assists.

The sophomore forward started the season strong, earning two Big Ten Third Star of the Week awards and recording five points against Notre Dame and St. Cloud State.

The Sweden native is not extremely large, but poses a threat to the Wisconsin defense with his great vision and off-the-puck quickness. Even though he is only in his second year, he has emerged as a leader on a Gopher front that has several emerging NHL draft picks.

Watch for him early and often against the Badgers this weekend.

The puck drops this Friday at 8 p.m. CT and Saturday at 7 p.m. at the Kohl Center.