Football: Clement cited for off-campus altercation

Initial statement from UW said junior running back was victim of incident

The miserable junior season for Wisconsin running back Corey Clement took another ugly turn Wednesday.

According to Zach Heilprin of ESPNWisconsin.com, Clement was cited on two counts of disorderly conduct after he was involved in a fight at his off-campus apartment on Nov. 8.

In a statement from Wisconsin Athletics on Nov. 12, Clement returned to his apartment building in the early hours of Nov. 8 and intervened in a “verbal dispute” between a group of people and a security guard. The dispute turned physical as punches were thrown, causing Clement to cut his hand.

https://badgerherald.com/sports/2015/11/12/football-corey-clement-involved-in-off-campus-altercation-cuts-hand/

But according to Heilprin, Clement was the one who threw the first punch. Clement and three other individuals were cited for the incident.

UW released another statement after details from the MPD report surfaced. UW found out yesterday that Clement would be cited.

In regards to the contradictory reports, UW said it reported what it knew at the time.

“We released a statement regarding Corey’s involvement in the incident on Nov. 12 in response to false information that was circulating. That statement was based off of information that we had at that time,” the statement said. “With the release of the full police report today, further details on the incident have come to light. Any disciplinary measures taken by UW head coach Paul Chryst relating to this incident are undetermined at this time and will be handled internally.”

The New Jersey native has played in just three games this season as he’s been dealing with a sports hernia injury. Clement has rushed for only 155 yards and four touchdowns this season after taking over for Melvin Gordon as the starting running back.

After a two week absence, Clement rushed 10 times for 24 yards and a touchdown last Saturday against Northwestern.

There has been no announcement about Clement’s availability for Saturday’s game at Minnesota.

Chris Bumbaca contributed to reporting to this story.