Football: Corey Clement involved in off-campus altercation, cuts hand

Junior running back still recovering from sports hernia surgery
Jason Chan

The nightmare season of 2015 continues for Wisconsin football running back Corey Clement.

According to a statement released by the Athletic Department Thursday afternoon, Clement suffered a cut to his right hand early Sunday morning during an altercation at his off-campus residence.

The statement further said that Clement was returning from his residence when he came across a “verbal dispute” between a group and the security guard of the building. When Clement joined the dispute, things got physical, and the statement said Clement and the security guard were then assaulted, causing the injury.

Clement wasn’t scheduled to practice this week anyway as he recovers from his sports hernia surgery. Clement didn’t make the trip to Maryland for the Badgers’ 31-24 win Saturday.

https://badgerherald.com/sports/2015/11/11/football-bye-comes-at-opportune-time-to-get-no-25-badgers-healthy/

Hours after the end of that game, this incident occurred.

The incident is still being investigated by the police, the statement said, and therefore the team will have no further comment.

Clement has appeared in only two games for the Badgers this season, a year which was supposed to be his breakout campaign. Against Alabama, he rushed the ball eight times for 16 yards and then missed the following seven games. He returned against Rutgers, rushing for three touchdowns and 115 yards on 11 carries.

Here’s the full statement from the Athletic Department: 

Wisconsin junior running back Corey Clement suffered a cut to his hand following an incident at his off-campus residence early Sunday morning.

Clement was returning to his residence when he witnessed a verbal dispute between a security guard at his apartment building and a group of individuals. Clement became engaged in the dispute. He and the security guard were then assaulted by the individuals, resulting in a cut to Clement’s hand.

He attended the Badgers’ practice on Wednesday but did not participate, as planned, due to his continued rehab from his sports hernia injury.

Due to an ongoing police investigation into the matter, Clement, head coach Paul Chryst and the Wisconsin Athletic Department will have no further comment on the incident.