Women’s soccer: Badgers visit Maryland Saturday night

UW rides seven-game win streak into College Park
Jason Chan

The Wisconsin women’s soccer team looks to continue its seven-game win streak when it hits the road to take on the Maryland Terrapins Saturday night at 6 p.m.

After last weekend’s wins over University of Michigan and Michigan State, Wisconsin (10-4-3) finds itself in first place in the Big Ten with two regular season games left on the year. Maryland (0-7-1) is hungry for a win in the Big Ten in order to have a chance at making the Big Ten Tournament.

Last time out

Maryland and Wisconsin met in Madison last season in late October. At the time, Wisconsin was ranked No. 12 in the nation coming into the matchup, and Maryland was a middle-of-the-pack team in the Big Ten.

It was a true defensive battle for both teams. Maryland goalkeeper, Rachelle Beanlands, recorded seven saves on the game, and Wisconsin goalkeeper Genevieve Richard recored three. Both teams were scoreless at the end of regulation, but the Badgers were able to score in double overtime on a corner kick, sealing the win and securing them in second place in the Big Ten.

Wisconsin’s key to victory: Keep playing with urgency

With the Badgers rolling in to College Park on a seven-game win streak — and Maryland still itching for its first Big Ten win — this game would presumably be one of Wisconsin’s easiest games this season. But Wisconsin cannot let up playing hard and intense on the ball.

Maryland is a versatile team with many assets. They are consistent in all categories of play and average 11.69 shots per game. The Badgers’ defense must be in position and ready to stop the Terrapins’ offense from gaining possession of the ball.

Maryland goalkeeper Rachelle Beanlands is ranked second to last in the Big Ten in save percentage at 80 percent, but still saves an average of 4.2 shots on goal per game. The Wisconsin offense must look to pressure the keeper early and often Saturday.

Maryland player to watch: Alex Anthony

Maryland forward Alex Anthony takes a lot of risks on offense, and it pays off, as she leads the Big Ten in both goals per game (0.63) and shots per game (5.19). Last year against the Badgers, Anthony had one shot on goal, and received lots of playing time.

She has steadily improved from season to season. She began her freshman year coming off the bench and seeing only a few minutes of game time, but now late in her sophomore season, she is Maryland’s strongest competitor and one of the Big Ten’s best offensive players. Wisconsin must be prepared for her strong ball-handling skills and fast-paced playing style.

If Wisconsin keeps the ball out of Anthony’s way and prevents her from gaining any momentum downfield, Wisconsin should be able to come out with another conference victory and continue making its name known on both the Big Ten and national levels.