Three questions: Wisconsin vs. Purdue

UW won last year’s matchup 34-16

Coming off a thrilling 23-21 victory over Nebraska, the Wisconsin football team is looking to keep their momentum going in the Big Ten against the struggling Purdue team Saturday. Here are three questions to consider for the matchup with the Boilermakers.

What will Wisconsin’s backfield look like?

As if there weren’t already enough question marks surrounding Wisconsin’s running game, there are now even more as the weekend approaches.

To start, redshirt freshman back Taiwan Deal is out with an ankle injury and is listed as questionable as of Thursday. Additionally, junior tailback Corey Clement — who has been sidelined following sports hernia surgery — has not been officially ruled out for Saturday’s game yet.

Should Clement return, he would be a few weeks ahead of schedule, but it is more likely the team doesn’t rush their prized runner back onto the field.

But should both Deal and Clement be ruled out of Saturday’s outing, redshirt junior Dare Ogunbowale would be in line to potentially see more touches than he has had all season and be a true lead running back for the Badgers.

Linebacker-turned-tailback Alec Ingold would also be in for more work out of the backfield, but he is coming off a performance against Nebraska where he ran just eight times for 16 yards.

Football: Class of 2016 running back Antonio Williams de-commits from Wisconsin

Will Schobert return to dominance?

After putting up huge defensive numbers in Wisconsin’s first five games of the season, senior linebacker Joe Schobert fell back to earth a bit against Nebraska, managing just four total tackles against the Cornhuskers last week.

Schobert, however, still leads the team in total tackles with 40 and his 13.5 tackles for loss are by far the highest on the team, with junior linebacker Vince Biegel’s 7.5 tackles for loss ranking second best.

Additionally, Schobert’s nine sacks on the season are good for second-best in the country, and with a matchup against a Purdue team UW defenses have been able to shut down year after year, look for the outside linebacker to return to his dominant ways.

Football: Defense ready to avoid letdown against Boilermakers

Can two-minute drill Stave be 60-minute drill Stave?

Fora  majority of UW’s game against Nebraska, starting quarterback Joel Stave was rather unimpressive.

But with just over a minute left in the game and the Badgers down by one, Stave stepped up when his team needed him to the most.

In just over 50 seconds, Stave marched Wisconsin down the field, throwing crisp, accurate passes to get the team within field goal range and setting UW up for the win. It made up for his struggles earlier in the game, but still was not enough to put Badger fans at ease.

This is not anything new for the quarterback, as time after time he has played at his most efficient level in the two-minute offense.

But now, if the Badgers want to improve their level of effectiveness on offense for the remainder of the season, they will need Stave to play with poise and accuracy for 60 minutes, rather than just two.